Bob Downes long-awaited reissue

RogerF

Bob Downes 1970 album Deep Down Heavy is finally receiving its first reissue on CD next month. This will be released on the Esoteric label. An idiosyncratic but extremely memorable album with some great music and poetry too. Bob is accompanied here by several virtuoso musicians from the Brit jazz fraternity including Ray Russell, Chris Spedding and the late Harry Miller. Highly recommended.

Excellent news. I passed on a not-great vinyl copy of this quite recently (every vinyl copy of this title I have ever come across has been abused !) so I will plan on getting this one. 'Esoteric' sounds like a better label for Mr Downes than the mega-naff MFP.

Edited by sidewinder

Is this release sanctioned by Bob do you know Roger?

The only reason I ask is because for the last few years I have been buying his releases directly from him via his website and this release isn't mentioned there.

Not only sanctioned by him - he was the one who told me last week about its imminent reissue! Esoteric also reissued his excellent debut album Open Music. He also told me that Sid Smith was writing the sleeve notes.

Edited by RogerF

off topic: anyone knows what's up with Reel Recordings?

on topic: I got to know Downes via the great Reel disc of his ... off topic: and I'd really hate to see that label go!

on topic: this new one has me interested, for sure, thanks for spreading word!

What? ....as in finished?

Reel is done.

Is this release sanctioned by Bob do you know Roger?

The only reason I ask is because for the last few years I have been buying his releases directly from him via his website and this release isn't mentioned there.

Not only sanctioned by him - he was the one who told me last week about its imminent reissue! Esoteric also reissued his excellent debut album Open Music. He also told me that Sid Smith was writing the sleeve notes.

Thanks Roger. I'll probably get an e-mail from him then when it's available.

Edited by Head Man

I have Deep Down Heavy on LP - clean copy acquired years ago for a fair price from "Da Bastids." It's a good one.

I have a theory that there are probably very few decent copies of this LP in the UK. The MFP label was a cheapo offering sold in bulk at Woolworths etc. Sort of anti-audiophile and not likely to have been treated at all well by the average customer. Come to think of it - I did once see a decent copy of it but it was in a basement in Rotterdam. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Talking of Esoteric, it looks like they have also just reissued Henry Lowther's 'Child Song'. Newly remastered as well (this one was already OOP with Dutton Vocalion and fetching very high 2nd hand prices so it will be interesting to see how the sound compares).

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric-exd.asp?id=4150

Edited by sidewinder

Seems so ... was in touch with Mike a couple of days ago.

Most discs can still be had via this outfit (for whom Mike mentioned doing some work, too, not sure for what label or how exactly he's involved there, but he also mentioned continuing his work for Cuneiform):

https://www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk/labels/Reel%20Recordings

https://www.gonzomultimedia.com/labels/Reel%20Recordings

First link is for yurp and all, second for the US of A.

Reel is done.

Oh shit, that's very sad!

bummer!!

bought some CDs from Mike not that long ago (Ayers, Dean, Trad Dads comp)

was a great/esoteric label

ps - can you still buy directly from Mike (better the $$ go straight to him)

Edited by romualdo

Are you asking (question mark forgotten) or making a statement (word order botched)?

I'd just drop Mike a line and ask about that, he said he still has the latest disc in stock, not sure about the rest (he knows I got all the rest, so no need to mention that).

• 5 weeks later...