W----- M------- live streamed from Ronnie's this evening

BillF

At last, something useful in the Guardian...

Woops :D

If my memory is right I saw Marsalis with the Blakey Jazz Messengers at Ronnies back in 1980/81 (band with Branford, Mulgrew Miller and Charles Fambrough) so it will be good to check him out again in action at this location.

Edited by sidewinder

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/3ed70cda-f37b-11e2-942f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2ZzSQNP8L

"Wynton Marsalis doesn’t have much truck with amplification, and played the entire first house of his short Ronnie Scott’s residency off-mic at the level of an animated conversation. Occasionally voices were raised, sometimes they fell to a whisper and once there was a brief shouting match. But quiet should not be confused with low-key."

At one point Wynton mentioned a tune he wrote, Phryzzinian Man, which Wynton said was too hard for him to play. I thought he was supposed to be Mr. Jazz? The band played it.

Quality of sound and vision were superb. I won't court controversy by commenting on the music. :w

I thought the same. I have a program that indicates what format the stream was. It was streamed as MP2, which is what satellite radio uses.

At one point Wynton mentioned a tune he wrote, Phryzzinian Man, which Wynton said was too hard for him to play. I thought he was supposed to be Mr. Jazz? The band played it.

Quality of sound and vision were superb. I won't court controversy by commenting on the music. :w

I thought the same. I have a program that indicates what format the stream was. It was streamed as MP2, which is what satellite radio uses.

Re quality of sound and vision, I could hear what the audience were saying before the band started - not a jazz audience as I know them! At the end of the first number WM announced its title, but I had already read it off the charts - which were plentiful.

Phryzzinian is one of Wynton's hybrid modes. No wrong notes.