Latin Fans Take Note!

JSngry

At Dusty Groove (the bastards!)

cachao~~~~~_cubanjams_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/latincd.htm#80364

Cachao -- Cuban Jam Session In Miniature -- Descargas . . . CD . . . $16.99

Vampi Soul (Spain), Late 50's Condition: New Copy

Landmark recordings from the Cuban scene of the late 50s -- free-jamming descarga sessions led by bassist Israel "Cachao" Lopez! The tunes on the set forever helped define the sound of Latin music -- breaking down the more restrictive styles of earlier years, and giving the players free reign to jam and improvise over tightly crafted rhythmic patterns. Apart from Cachao's great work on bass, the set also features tenor by Emilio Penalver, trumpet by Armando Armenteros, and trumpet by Alejandro Vivar -- on titles that include "Descarga Cubana", "Sorpressa De Flauta", "Pamparana", "Trombon Criollo", "Controversia De Metales", and "Guajeo De Saxos". This CD adds in a huge amount of extra tracks, too -- for a total of 23 numbers in all!

I've not heard this CD, so I can't comment on the quality of the transfers or the nature of the "extra tracks", but as a long-time admirer of the original PanArt album, I feel safe in recommending this disc on the strength of those selections alone. Classic stuff.

This is available on CD on Fresh Sound's sublabel Caney since 1994, with eight bonus tracks, and there's a second volume; sound quality is good.

c835.jpg

From Havana To New York

Cachao Y Su Ritmo Caliente

Featuring: Cachao, Clark Terry, José Mangual, Guillermo Barreto, Gustavo Tamayo, El Negro Vivar, Yeyo Iglesias, Richard Egües, Generoso Jiménez...

REFERENCE: CCD 501

BAR CODE: 84 27328 20501 6

PRICE: 9.80 EUR

Tracklisting:

1. Guajeo De Saxos

2. Estudio En Trompeta

3. Cogele El Golpe

4. Goza Mi Trompeta

5. Descarga Cubana

6. A Gozar Timbero

7. Trombon Criollo

8. Malanga Amarilla

9. Controversia De Metales

10. Pamparana

11. Sorpresa De Flauta

12. Oye Mi Tres Montuno

13. Pa Pa Bajo

14. Escucha Dos Trompetas

15. Mungo Mungo Baby

16. Que Paso

17. Chunga Uhuruh Chunga

18. A Bailar Guajira

19. Tanga Pa Katanga

20. Caballos Locos

On Cuts 1-12, The Players Are:

Israel López "Cachao" Bass

Guillermo Barreto Tímbales

Tata Güines Tumbadora

Rogelio "Yeyo" Iglesias Bongos

Gustavo Tamayo Guiro

Alejandro "El Negro" Vivar Trumpet (2,4,6,9,10)

Generoso "Tojo" Jimenez Trombone (7,9)

Orestes Lopez Piano (3,7,8,9,l0)

Emilio Peñalver Tenor sax (1)

Virgilio Lisama Baritone sax (1)

Richard Egües Flute (11)

Niño Rivera Tres-guitar (12)

On Cuts 13-20 The Players Are:

Israel Lopez "Cachao" Bass

Marcelino Valdes Timbales

Antonio "Chocolate" Diaz Mena Tumbadora

Jose Mangual Bongos

Clark Terry Trumpet

Jerome Richardson Flute, piccolo tenor and baritone sax

c844.jpg

More Legendary Descargas

Cachao

Featuring: Cachao, Peruchin, Tata Güines, Los Papines, Richard Egües, René Hernandez, Victor Paz...

REFERENCE: CCD 510

BAR CODE: 84 27328 20510 8

Cachao with Tito Rodriguez and his Orquesta (tracks 1 and 2), Cachao y su conjunto (tracks 3 to 8, 17 and 18); Cachao with Walfredo de los Reyes and his All-Stars (tracks 9 to 13); Cachao is with Chico O'Farill and his Cuban All-Stars (tracks 14 to 16).

Tracklisting:

1. Introduccion

2. Descarga Cubana

3. La Florista

4. Avance Juvenil

5. Redencion

6. Descarga Mambo

7. Juan Pescao

8. El Bombin De Perucho

9. Leche Con Ron

10. Las Boinas De Cachao

11. Cha Cha Cha De Los Pollos

12. Mucho Humo

13. Es Diferente

14. Descarga Numero Uno

15. Descarga Numero Uno

16. Bilongo

17. Descarga Mejicana

18. El Fantasma

With:

Israel López "Cachao" Bass on all tracks

Victor Paz Trumpet on tracks 1 and 2

David Gonzalez Trumpet on tracks 1 and 2

Tony Cofresí Trumpet on tracks 1 and 2

Emilio Reales Trumpet on tracks 1 and 2

Bobby Percelli Alto sax on tracks 1 and 2

Rey Santos Tenor sax on tracks 1 and 2

Rene Hernandez Piano on tracks 1 and 2

Alejandro "El Negro" Vivar Trumpet on tracks 3 to 8, 17 and 18

Armando Armenteros Trumpet on 3 to 8, 17 and 18

Los Papines Tumbadora on 3 to 8, 17 and 18

Luis Escalante Trumpet on 9 to 13

Julio Guerrero Flute on 9 to 13

Walfredo De Los Reyes Jr. Timbales on 9 to 13

Jesus Caunedo Alto sax on 9 to 13

Richard Egues Flute on 14 to 16

Osvaldo Peñalver Alto sax on 14 to 16

Pedro Justiz "Peruchín" Piano on 14 to 16

Tata Guines Tumbadora on 14 to 16

I doubt that either has a license agreement, but this was available on numerous bootlegs here in Europe over the years.

Edited by mikeweil

This is available on CD on Fresh Sound's sublabel Caney since 1994, with eight bonus tracks, and there's a second volume; sound quality is good.

c835.jpg

From Havana To New York

Cachao Y Su Ritmo Caliente

Featuring: Cachao, Clark Terry, José Mangual, Guillermo Barreto, Gustavo Tamayo, El Negro Vivar, Yeyo Iglesias, Richard Egües, Generoso Jiménez...

REFERENCE: CCD 501

BAR CODE: 84 27328 20501 6

Tracklisting:

1. Guajeo De Saxos

2. Estudio En Trompeta

3. Cogele El Golpe

4. Goza Mi Trompeta

5. Descarga Cubana

6. A Gozar Timbero

7. Trombon Criollo

8. Malanga Amarilla

9. Controversia De Metales

10. Pamparana

11. Sorpresa De Flauta

12. Oye Mi Tres Montuno

13. Pa Pa Bajo

14. Escucha Dos Trompetas

15. Mungo Mungo Baby

16. Que Paso

17. Chunga Uhuruh Chunga

18. A Bailar Guajira

19. Tanga Pa Katanga

20. Caballos Locos

On Cuts 1-12, The Players Are:

Israel López "Cachao" Bass

Guillermo Barreto Tímbales

Tata Güines Tumbadora

Rogelio "Yeyo" Iglesias Bongos

Gustavo Tamayo Guiro

Alejandro "El Negro" Vivar Trumpet (2,4,6,9,10)

Generoso "Tojo" Jimenez Trombone (7,9)

Orestes Lopez Piano (3,7,8,9,l0)

Emilio Peñalver Tenor sax (1)

Virgilio Lisama Baritone sax (1)

Richard Egües Flute (11)

Niño Rivera Tres-guitar (12)

On Cuts 13-20 The Players Are:

Israel Lopez "Cachao" Bass

Marcelino Valdes Timbales

Antonio "Chocolate" Diaz Mena Tumbadora

Jose Mangual Bongos

Clark Terry Trumpet

Jerome Richardson Flute, piccolo tenor and baritone sax

c844.jpg

More Legendary Descargas

Cachao

Featuring: Cachao, Peruchin, Tata Güines, Los Papines, Richard Egües, René Hernandez, Victor Paz...

REFERENCE: CCD 510

BAR CODE: 84 27328 20510 8

Cachao with Tito Rodriguez and his Orquesta (tracks 1 and 2), Cachao y su conjunto (tracks 3 to 8, 17 and 18); Cachao with Walfredo de los Reyes and his All-Stars (tracks 9 to 13); Cachao is with Chico O'Farill and his Cuban All-Stars (tracks 14 to 16).

Tracklisting:

1. Introduccion

2. Descarga Cubana

3. La Florista

4. Avance Juvenil

5. Redencion

6. Descarga Mambo

7. Juan Pescao

8. El Bombin De Perucho

9. Leche Con Ron

10. Las Boinas De Cachao

11. Cha Cha Cha De Los Pollos

12. Mucho Humo

13. Es Diferente

14. Descarga Numero Uno

15. Descarga Numero Uno

16. Bilongo

17. Descarga Mejicana

18. El Fantasma

With:

Israel López "Cachao" Bass on all tracks

Victor Paz Trumpet on tracks 1 and 2

David Gonzalez Trumpet on tracks 1 and 2

Tony Cofresí Trumpet on tracks 1 and 2

Emilio Reales Trumpet on tracks 1 and 2

Bobby Percelli Alto sax on tracks 1 and 2

Rey Santos Tenor sax on tracks 1 and 2

Rene Hernandez Piano on tracks 1 and 2

Alejandro "El Negro" Vivar Trumpet on tracks 3 to 8, 17 and 18

Armando Armenteros Trumpet on 3 to 8, 17 and 18

Los Papines Tumbadora on 3 to 8, 17 and 18

Luis Escalante Trumpet on 9 to 13

Julio Guerrero Flute on 9 to 13

Walfredo De Los Reyes Jr. Timbales on 9 to 13

Jesus Caunedo Alto sax on 9 to 13

Richard Egues Flute on 14 to 16

Osvaldo Peñalver Alto sax on 14 to 16

Pedro Justiz "Peruchín" Piano on 14 to 16

Tata Guines Tumbadora on 14 to 16

I doubt that either has a license agreement, but this was available on numerous bootlegs here in Europe over the years.

These are the ones I've got as well. They're very good reissues.

The "More Legendary Descarga Sessions" has a softer, more melodic feel to it that I always relate to the presence and influence of Orestes Lopez (Cachao's brother) on piano (he's there, I think, though he's not credited above).

There are more pieces similar to the "Orestes" pieces that the Caney collections don't pick up that I've heard on other European knockoffs.

Hopefully someone will get these wonderful 1950s sessions together properly at some point (there's also some material with Julio Guitierrez or Fajardo at the helm, I think).

--eric

I'm slightly confused. I have the first Tumbao "From Havana to NY," but not the second, nor the Panart. If I buy the second Tumbao, then will I have all the material on this Panart reissue? Or is it different material?

The Havana to NY, I think is on Caney. This contains a lot of the jam session material originally issued on Panart. The "More legendary Descarga sessions" would give you more, but there is more, different material on the "Jam Sessions in miniature" cd currently available, and more material that I've heard that isn't on any of these records, some with Cachao or Orestes Lopez leading, some of near or equal quality with other folks leading.

The whole discography is messy, which is why I am wishing for someone to come along and reissue the material in an organized fashion.

--eric

I'm slightly confused.  I have the first Tumbao "From Havana to NY," but not the second, nor the Panart.  If I buy the second Tumbao, then will I have all the material on this Panart reissue?  Or is it different material?

The Havana to NY, I think is on Caney. This contains a lot of the jam session material originally issued on Panart. The "More legendary Descarga sessions" would give you more, but there is more, different material on the "Jam Sessions in miniature" cd currently available, and more material that I've heard that isn't on any of these records, some with Cachao or Orestes Lopez leading, some of near or equal quality with other folks leading.

The whole discography is messy, which is why I am wishing for someone to come along and reissue the material in an organized fashion.

--eric

My mistake- Caney not Tumbao. The cover reminds me of some Tumbaos that I have, and I didn't check.

Mike or WNMC where can these sessions be had?

I went on over to descarga and saw that Caney has another collection of 50s sessions out, so I guess some are there.

I think I heard this "missing" material on a couple of releases on Maype, which descarga also seems to have.

Good version of Tres Lindas Cubanas I remember particularly. I didn't get much of a chance with them: they were brought by a guest I was interviewing about the embargo--he'd bought them in Cuba.

--eric

Hopefully someone will get these wonderful 1950s sessions together properly at some point (there's also some material with Julio Guitierrez or Fajardo at the helm, I think).

Here's CUBAN JAM SESSION Volume 1 , led by Gutierrez. Volume 2 (led by Fajardo, I think), had the identical cover, except in blue. I don't have it, unfortunately, but a college bud did.

Edited by JSngry

Thanks for all the great pictures, JSngry. My cds are comparitively lacking.

Here's an log entry I found on Cachao and his musical activities and on the Panart Sessions:

(this is from http://www.musicweb.uk.net/, an interesting resource.)

LOPEZ, Israel 'Cachao'

(b 14 Sept. '18, Havana, Cuba) Virtuoso bassist, multi-instrumentalist, arranger, composer, bandleader. One of the most infl. of all Latin musicians, closely associated with the genesis of the mambo and a master proponent of descarga (Latin jam session). From musical family, said to incl. at least 35 bassists; at age eight played bongo with Conjunto Miguel De Seste, which also incl. future famed singer Roberto Faz (1914--66); debuted '27 with band of Ignacio Villa (1913--71, later known as Bola de Nieve or Snow Ball) providing music for silent movies; played with Havana Philharmonic Orchestra from age 13 to 44.

Concurrently he worked with Marcelino Gonz lez, Ernesto Mu¤oz ('34--6), Antonio Maria Cruz and Orquesta Antillana; joined La Maravilla del Siglo '37 led by singer/composer Fernando Collazo (1909--39); following a quarrel with Collazo, band members walked out '38 to form a co-operative led by flautist Antonio Arca¤o (b 29 Dec. '11, Havana, Cuba; d 18 June '94, Havana; he lost his lip '47), which soon became Arca¤o y sus Maravillas, a flute, strings and rhythm section charanga francesa that interpreted the danz¢n, a Cuban ballroom dance evolved in 1870s from 17th--18th-century French contradanza.

The personnel incl. Cachao's brother, cellist, multi-instrumentalist, composer, arranger Orestes L¢pez 'Macho' (b 29 Aug. '08, Havana; d Cuba). He and Orestes composed most of Arca¤o's repertoire of danzones (up to 28 a week). Orestes's danz¢n 'Mambo' '38, first performed on the radio station Mil Diez, is widely regarded as the earliest manifestation of the mambo rhythm; it took at least six months for the new danz¢n-mambo sound to be accepted, but by '43 Arca¤o's orchestra challenged Arsenio Rodr¡guez's conjunto as Cuba's most popular band. Cachao and Orestes feature on most of the RCA recordings by Arca¤o y sus Maravillas collected on Danz¢n Mambo 1944--51 '93 on Tumbao.

Cachao retired '49 from the exhausting Arca¤o routine to work in theatrical revues, opera, etc; he returned to the nightclubs '53 by joining Jos‚ Fajardo's band, appearing with them at NYC's Palladium Ballroom '54; in '59 he re-formed disbanded members of Arca¤o's orchestra to make two danz¢n LPs on Kubaney: Con El Ritmo De Cachao (reissued as Camina Juan Pescao and La Leyenda, Vol. 2) and El Gran Cachao (reissued as Cachao y su T¡pica Vol. 2 and La Leyenda, Vol. 1), when other danz¢n orchestras had become charangas, playing cha cha ch  and other rhythms.

The first descarga (literally: 'discharge') to be recorded in Cuba is presently understood to be 'Con Poco Coco' for the 10]im[ LP Cubano ... Andre's All Stars '52 on Panart performed by pianist/composer/arr. Bebo Vald‚s (b 9 Oct. '18, Quivic n, Cuba) and members of the Tropicana night club orchestra under the name of the Andre's All Stars; the historic track was incl. on the compilation The Original Mambo Kings -- An Introduction To Afro-Cubop '93 on Verve; he made his recording comeback after 34 years with Bebo Rides Again '95 on Messidor.

Panart organized a series of descargas from '56 with Cuba's best musicians, mixing Cuban idioms with extended soloing in a loose format: Cuban Jam Session (two vols) dir. by pianist, bandleader, arranger, composer Julio Guti‚rrez (b 18 Jan. '19, Manzanillo, Cuba; d 15 Dec. '90, New Jersey), Vol. 3 dir. by tres player Ni¤o Rivera (b Andr‚s Echevarr¡a, 18 April '19, Pinar del R¡o, Cuba; d date unknown); Cachao did 'short jam sessions' as singles, then '57 album Cuban Jam Sessions In Miniature 'Descargas' -- Cachao y su Ritmo Caliente Vol. 4 (no share of the album's million-plus sales). With Vol. 5 by Fajardo and his All Stars '64. His other descarga recordings from this period incl.

Jam Session With Feeling (recorded '58 but release delayed until '62), Cachao y su Conjunto -- Descarga '61, both on Maype, (these would be my "missing descargas": they're not Panart sessions at all, but recorded somewhat later) Cuban Music In Jam Session '61 on Bonita (reissued as Descarga Cubana '96 on Lucuso); he also played on 'Descarga Numero Uno' and 'Descarga Numero Dos' recorded c'57 by Chico O'Farrill's Cuban All Stars incl. on the collection Los Mejores Musicos de Cuba and Cuban Jazz c'60--61 by percussionist Walfredo de los Reyes (who performed on Cuban Jam Session's Vols 1 and 2), both on Gema (These last are on the "more legendary descarga sessions" disc on Caney).

The Panart Cuban Jam Sessions had a profound effect on the Latin scene in New York (inspiring descarga recordings by the Alegre All-Stars and others -- see Al Santiago entry), which Cachao joined '63 (via Spain), working with Charlie Palmieri, Fajardo, Johnny Pacheco, Tito Rodr¡guez (incl. LP Tito Tito Tito '64 on UA, featuring the tribute 'Descarga Cachao'), Candido, Eddie Palmieri (for nearly a year), Machito (for one or two years), others. He participated in the classic Tributo A Noro '65 by Kako's After Hour Orchestra (effectively the Alegre All-Stars), Salsa All- Stars '68, both prod. by Santiago, Tico All Stars' Descargas At The Village Gate -- Live '66 (three vols). Moved to Las Vegas, worked there with George Hern ndez, Pupi Campo and Las Vegas Symphony Orchestra; played on Tico-Alegre All-Stars Live At Carnegie Hall '74 back in NYC; then own LPs: Cachao y su Descarga '77 Vol. 1 and Dos, Vol. 2 '77 (Cuban street scene painted by Henry Fiol on the cover) were co-prod. with no commercial restraint by musicologist Rene L¢pez and Andy Kaufman to re-create Havana descargas and danzones (recalling days with Arca¤o); lineup incl. five violins, incl. veteran Pupi Legarreta and younger Cuban Alfredo de la F‚, with Don Gonzalo Fern ndez on flute, Charlie Palmieri, Lino Fr¡as on piano, Manny Oquendo on timbales, Alfredo 'Chocolate' Armenteros on trumpet, Osvaldo 'Chi Hua Hua' Mart¡nez, Papa¡to, Carlos 'Patato' Valdez on percussion; LPs received little airplay/promotion at the time, but have acquired cult fame since. (I have Vol. two--it's great)

Session work in NYC mid-'60s to mid-'70s incl. LPs by Patato and Totico, Hubert Laws, Mongo Santamar¡a, Lou P‚rez, Pedro Rafael Chaparro, H‚ctor Rivera, Charlie Palmieri. He moved to Miami early '80s: session work there incl. albums by Miami All Stars, T¡pica P ta, Conjunto Yumuri, Chano Montes, Pepe Mora, Hern n Guti‚rrez (see Gabino Pampini), ¥ico Rojas, La India de Oriente, Roberto Torres, Hansel and Ra£l, Grupo Niche, others; also worked with Miami Symphony Orchestra.

Team of Walfredo de los Reyes, pianist Paquito Hechavarr¡a, percussionist Tany Gil and Cachao made Latin jam-oriented Walpataca '81 (reissued as Latin Jazz Descarga, Part 1) on Tania; Cachao led same foursome with others on descarga set Maestro de Maestros: Israel L¢pez 'Cachao' y su Descarga '86 on Tania (Fajardo was also there).

His elevation from cult hero to merited status started '92 when Cuban-born, Miami Beach-reared Hollywood movie star Andy Garc¡a dir./co-prod. the feature length documentary Cachao: Como Su Ritmo No Hay Dos, which premiŠred at the Miami Film Festival '93 and had its UK debut at the 37th London Film Festival, Nov. '93 (latter incl. personal appearances by Cachao and Garc¡a); film chronicled the Cachao Mambo and Descarga concert promoted by Garc¡a in Miami, July '92. Cachao and several participants from his Mambo and Descarga tour, incl. Paquito D'Rivera, Jos‚ 'Chombo' Silva on saxes, Chocolate and recent Cuban defector, trombonist Juan Pablo Torres (b 17 Aug. '46, Puerto Padre, Cuba), performed on Paquito D'Rivera Presents 40 Years Of Cuban Jam Session '93 on Messidor; he also performed on Gloria Estefan's Grammy winner Mi Tierra '93, the fastest-ever Spanish-language album to go gold in the USA.

Garc¡a prod. Cachao's first major label release Master Sessions Volume I '94 on Epic's Crescent Moon (run by Estefan's husband Emilio), which won the Grammy for Best Tropical Latin Album '95, recognition at last for his seminal contribution to Latin music. Follow-up Master Sessions Volume II '95 garnered a Grammy nomination; More Legendary Descarga Sessions '96 on Caney compiled '50s/60s recordings as a leader and with Chico O'Farrill, Walfredo de los Reyes and Tito Rodr¡guez.

Edited by WNMC

The first descarga (literally: 'discharge') to be recorded in Cuba is presently understood to be 'Con Poco Coco' for the 10]im[ LP Cubano ... Andre's All Stars '52 on Panart performed by pianist/composer/arr. Bebo Vald?s (b 9 Oct. '18, Quivic n, Cuba) and members of the Tropicana night club orchestra under the name of the Andre's All Stars; the historic track was incl. on the compilation The Original Mambo Kings -- An Introduction To Afro-Cubop '93 on Verve; he made his recording comeback after 34 years with Bebo Rides Again '95 on Messidor.

As stated, Con Poco Coco was on the Verve Mambo Kings compilation:

c636038xo9q.jpg

AFAIK the only CD with some of this legendary session. That Messidor CD Bebo Valdes made is also recommended. He carries the spirit of Descarga more than anybody else.

Seems like THERE IS a Caney CD with that famous session:

c846.jpg

Descarga Caliente With Bebo Valdés And His Havana All-stars

Bebo Valdes

Featuring: Bebo Valdés, El Negro Vivar, Pucho Escalante, Generoso Jimenez, Gustavo Mas, Cachaito, Tata Güines, Candido Camero, Guillermo Barreto...

REFERENCE: CCD 512

BAR CODE: 84 27328 20512 2

PRICE: 9.80 ?

Tracklisting:

1. Descarga Caliente

2. Con Poco Poco

3. Mambo Cantabile

4. Miramar

5. Special Bebo

6. Pan Pan Pan

7. Big Shot Cha Cha Cha

8. Mambo Riff

9. Tabu

10. Chiribiricocola La

11. Hotcha Cha

12. Dile A Catalina

13. Zigzag Mambo

14. Smocha Cha

15. Desconfianza

16. Estoy Matizando

17. Bebo´s Blues

Tracks 1,3,4,7,8,9,11,12,14,15 recorded in Havana 1955.

Tracks 2,6,10,16,18, Havana 1952

Tracks 5,13, Havana 1957.

Track 17, Havana 1956.

Now where's track 18?