Improvised Music & Jazz in London Sept. 14-21

Hi all,

My parents will be in London from the 14-21 of September and are looking for good improvised music / jazz gigs. They're pretty open-minded. I'm not sure what's going on that week (if anything) and Time Out wasn't really too helpful, so I thought I'd ask here. Recommendations? I was hoping that the Convergence Quartet was playing at the Vortex but I guess that's not until October...

Clifford - Just checked the latest Jazzwise listings. 14-21 Sept looks a little bit scarce for major London listings, with the main action for once being out of town. There is a short festival on at Kings Place (located on 90 York Way so handy from Euston/Kings Cross) on 14-15th with Martin Speake, Ian Ballamy, Dave Stapleton and Jason Rebello's groups in the lineup. Might be worth checking out. Magnus Ostrom is on at Ronnie Scotts 16-17 Sept and there's the big band of Gareth Lockrane at the 606 Club (90 Lots Road, SW10) on 15th Sept. If they can get out to Isleworth, Trevor Tomkins' group with Henry Lowther, Stan Sultzman, Dave Green & co. is on at the Red Lion pub on the 16th (Trevor's regular venue I believe).

Drummer Asaf Sirkis' group is on at the Vortex on the 16th by the look of it.

Edited by sidewinder

Clifford,

not a great selection but in addition to Sidewinder's suggestions there are these:

John Russell's monthly improv night Mopomoso is at the Vortex on Sunday 15th with its usual eclectic mix of improvisors - usually at least three different line ups and one is listed with Russell and Henry Lowther which must be good

Bobby Wellins Trio is Ajani Grill and Jazz, 21/9 http://ajanigrillandjazz.co.uk/

Zoe Rahman Qt at St James Studio 18/9. www.stjamestheatre.co.uk

looks like the Vortex is hosting an African music festival for a number of nights if their interests stretch that far

and then there's always Otomo Yoshihide with Mats Gustafsson at Cafe Oto!!

more useful and comprehensive listing than Time Out can be found here http://www.jazzinlondon.net/JIL/Sep-13.htm (don't be put off by archaic web design) lists a broad range of styles and venues. Beware some are some way out of town but any with a postcode that starts E, N, S, W and combinations thereof with lower numbers afterwards are more likely more central.

I hope they have a great trip

thank you, Alexander

a no brainer:

• Thu 19 Sep | 8.30pm
  • £ 8
Tobias Delius / Olie Brice / Mark Sanders

The first gig of a short UK tour for this new free jazz trio. Tobias Delius is one of Europe's most creative reeds players. Delius (tenor sax and clarinet) will be familiar to Vortex audiences from the stunning ICP residency in January this year. He also leads his own quartet (with Han Bennink, Joe Williamson & Tristan Honsinger), and was a member of Louis Moholo's Viva-La-Black, as well as working with Steve Lacy, Bill Frisell and many others. Double bassist Olie Brice and drummer Mark Sanders had often discussed their shared love of Delius' playing, and are delighted to invite him over for this trio tour.

Toby Delius (reeds), Mark Sanders (drums), Olie Brice (bass)

"Tobias Delius could be the best tenor saxophonist you never heard of. A melodist, he bends chord changes and bar lines as far as they'll go without breaking, wiping away old distinctions between 'inside' and 'outside' jazz" - Kevin Whitehead