Bud Powell Singing..

Michael Weiss

During his time in Europe, Bud sometimes sang, usually on ballads that somehow had a context with the torments he suffered:

"This is no laughing matter" (on Golden Circle Vol. 5) is the only commercially released of them.

"I should care", "It never entered my mind" where others.

It´s reported, that Bud was made to sing to be rewarded with a drink after the set.

The mentioned "Gift for my friends" if from the Mythic Sound LPs .

I got most of the "Bud at Home" material on some unissued recordings with much more "singing" of Bud. Especially "Chrismas Song", then some attempts to sing "It Never Entered my Mind", some of it even with Buttercup singing....., and with Bud singing "More than You Know" along with an Art Tatum LP recording.

Bud sang exactly like he talked if he talked anyway, with that plaintive voice, and on some recordings at Paudras´ home he can be heard how he will play something only if he gets something to drink, one time even repeating dozens of times "gimme a beer, gimme a beer, gimme a beer...."

When I was younger, I listened much more to that "conversations" just to get hold of anything that Bud played, said, etc. ..., but what counts for me is his music, all the great things he did, even if he was less than in peak form. I can learn so much from it, the way he phrases, the way he does his chords especially on ballads, just is music......