l p

from dolphy-l list

Out to lunch japanese re-issue

01. Hat and Beard
02. Something Sweet Something Tender
03. Gazeroni
04. Out-to-lunch
05. Straight Up And Down
06. Hat and Beard (Alternate Take) (bonus track)
07. Something Sweet Something Tender (Alternate Take) (bonus track)

Details with Google translation at
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=3Den&sl=3Dja&u=3Dhttp://www.hmv.c=
o.jp/artist_Eric-Dolphy_000000000002082/item_Out-To-Lunch-24bit-Rmt_5508895&=
prev=3D/search%3Fq%3DTYCJ-81013%26sa%3DX%26tbas%3D0%26biw%3D1112%26bih%3D559

It's now listed on amazon.co.uk, but without track details, for =A320.00

and

Eric Dolphy MUSES/ MMEX-159-CD-LP

ERIC DOLPHY MUSES
the Unreleased Douglas recordings

NYC (Music Makers, Inc.),
1 July, 1963
Eric Dolphy (bcl); Richard Davis (bass). .

1. Muses, (bcl) (08:28) Never before released
2. Alone Together (bcl) (alt.take) (12:05)

3 July, 1963
Woody Shaw (tpt); Eric Dolphy (as); Bobby
Hutcherson (vib); Eddie Khan, Richard Davis
(bass); J.C. Moses (dr).

3.Mandrake (as) (alt.take) (04:21)
4.Iron Man (as), (alt.take) (08:24)

Eric Dolphy (as).

5.Love Me (as) (alt.take) (03:59)

This recording will be released 25th November 2013.
The recording is in a limited edition in 999 copies

See http://www.marshmallow-records.com/ or
http://www.catfish-records.jp/product/16661

Are those Iron Man session alternates known in the trading community, or are they completely new?

Edit: ¥2,600 is (too) expensive for the Muses CD.

New, at least to me ... guess I'd have heard (of) them if they were wide-spread. But the price tag is hefty. Would still love to hear this!

Are those Iron Man session alternates known in the trading community, or are they completely new?

Edit: ¥2,600 is (too) expensive for the Muses CD.

New, at least to me ... guess I'd have heard (of) them if they were wide-spread. But the price tag is hefty. Would still love to hear this!

I'll probably get this regardless. Sigh. I love the Iron Man album. If it's not official it should really get uploaded to that place.

• 1 month later...

I can see in the near future the Andorrans releasing a double Dolphy CD (stealing/adding this release of alternates to the 2004 Lonehill Jazz CD "Complete Memorial Album Sessions")

& calling it what? "The Absolute Complete……. Sessions"

they'd be stealing from various generations of thieves, as is my understanding ... it's really a disgrace that there's no proper reissue of this material around at atll ...

I can see in the near future the Andorrans releasing a double Dolphy CD (stealing/adding this release of alternates to the 2004 Lonehill Jazz CD "Complete Memorial Album Sessions")

& calling it what? "The Absolute Complete……. Sessions"

So, people here have stolen this. The 'Andorrans' haven't. And the topic becomes how 'they' are thieves. Talk about projection.

The Fresh Sound releases do sound better than any other (Conversations a bit better than Iron Man). They reproduce the original artwork, label logos & liner notes.

They are enjoyable sonically imo (and in stereo). Certainly better than the MP3 sample of the Iron Man alternate take from this new Muses release which according to eastwindimport.com is in mono.

Edited by erwbol

The Fresh Sound releases do sound better than any other (Conversations a bit better than Iron Man). They reproduce the original artwork, label logos & liner notes.

Better than the Universal/Fuel 2000 releases from 2001 (Conversations) and 2002 (Iron Man)?

I bought the Fresh Sound discs on release. There was a review in Jazzwise magazine (in 2003 ?) that stated this was the best these albums ever sounded (in digital at least, though they probably never sounded marvellous on vinyl as well).

I later downloaded some other releases and compared. I can't remember which ones.

Sorry, didn't see that request ... but the thing about Fuel 2000 being an official label is really news to me!

Their website looks like a wreck though, blank links everywhere.

But really, are we talking about the same thing?

http://www.discogs.com/label/10743-Fuel-2000

says there:

"A division of Varèse Sarabande" (*deleted the additional line forging conspiracies here*)

And you don't really want me to believe those BYG reissues of records by Shepp or the Art Ensemble were overseen by Universal or officially licensed? my CD of "Reese and the Smooth Ones" certainly doesn't say nothing that would make me believe such a thing - rather it confirms the Varèse Sarabande affiliation ... so they're from Universal City which is home of the Universal Studios ... they're also being distributed by Universal, but what does that really mean?

I don't think it means those BYG records belong to Universal?

Edited by king ubu

Varèse Sarabande is distributed by Universal, and so is Fuel 2000 - the latter is not part of Universal, contrary to what I said earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Var%C3%A8se_Sarabande

On my Fuel 2000 CDs it says:

Fuel 2000 Records released in cooperation with Varèse Sarabande and UMVD. [...] Distributed by Universal Music and Video Distribution (UMVD).
Edited by J.A.W.