Ray Price, R.I.P.

J.A.W.

Had a chance to play one gig with him. A gig + a rehearsal. The rehearsal was the more interesting of the two, but both were marvelous experiences. He was, based on my one experiences & multitudinous anecdotes, a real "character".

And, quiet as it's kept, somewhere in the mid-late 70s, he commissioned a big-band book, and would always book as many horns on his gigs as he could when he could. After the initial "experiment", it wasn't very often the opportunity presented itself, but if that rehearsal was any indication, he, not unlike Sinatra, know everybody's part, how he wanted it played, and how he wanted to sing within the arrangement. Once the show started, he was pure "country gentlemen", but when working with the band alone, he was no bullshit, just a cat who really knew his shit.

RIP, sir, and to this day, I'll never forgive myself for coming in a beat early on the intro to "You're Nobody 'Till Somebody Loves You". It was over as soon as it happened, but the bar was set so high that...ooops. No walking back from that one.

Just don't accuse me of being without feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTWuMdGNprc

Ray Price was one of the great American singers of the past 100 years, period, that is, regardless of genre. Not to mention the fact that he helped to launch the career of the great Roger Miller. Rest in peace, Ray, rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8QDRMeSJ7o

thanks to all for the heartfelt comments. i've been following his health reports from his family for about 2 years and his music from the early 1950s. wkcr is playing his music right now. johnny carson was a big fan and he placed ray up there with frank, as he well should.

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/ray-price-memorial-broadcast-tuesday-december-17th-600pm-wednesday-december-18th-100am

"Join us tonight at 6:00pm as we honor the life and work of country singer Ray Price. Price started out in Texas, performing for various radio programs. After moving to Nashville he went on to develop his own style of country music during the 1950s. Price's best known for his hits from this time, such as "Talk To Your Heart" and "Crazy Arms." Tonight we listen to the music of Mr. Price to honor his contributions to American country music. Our broadcast will run from 6:00pm tonight until 1:00am tomorrow morning. Tune in at 89.9FM or wkcr.org.
© 2013 WKCR | Columbia University NY 10027 | Studio 212-8"
Edited by alocispepraluger102

http://www.kltv.com/story/24205295/undefined

TYLER, TX (KLTV) -

"Country Music Hall of Fame member and country music legend Ray Price, 87, plans to leave East Texas Medical Center in Tyler on Thursday to go to his home in Mount Pleasant where he will be provided with hospice care.

Price, who is best known for his country classics, including Release Me, Crazy Arms and For the Good Times, has been battling pancreatic cancer since 2011. Since then, the disease has spread to his liver, intestines and lungs, even with aggressive treatment. Price and his wife, Janie, who have been married for 45 years, made the decision not to pursue further aggressive treatment for the cancer.

"Ray is alert and aware of his surroundings and making decisions," said Janie. "With God's blessing he has not had extreme pain. But it's with great sadness that I announce to you today that my beloved husband has entered the final stages of his cancer that he has battled for 25 months. Anyone who knows Ray is aware that he has strong convictions and great faith in God. It's his decision to leave the hospital and return home to spend his final days on his beloved ranch surrounded by the comfort of his home, family and friends."

In a final message to his fans, Price said, "I love my fans and have devoted my life to reaching out to them. I appreciate their support all these years and I hope I haven't let them down. I am at peace. I love Jesus. I'm going to be just fine. Don't worry about me. I'll see you again one day.""

Edited by alocispepraluger102

http://www.wsmv.com/story/24226033/country-star-ray-price-dies-at-87

He made some great honky-tonk recordings in the 1950s.

Many of his finest, including his wonderful Bob Wills tribute, are actually the early '60s, but then much of 'the 50s' is actually the early '60s...

Had a chance to play one gig with him. A gig + a rehearsal. The rehearsal was the more interesting of the two, but both were marvelous experiences. He was, based on my one experiences & multitudinous anecdotes, a real "character".

And, quiet as it's kept, somewhere in the mid-late 70s, he commissioned a big-band book, and would always book as many horns on his gigs as he could when he could. After the initial "experiment", it wasn't very often the opportunity presented itself, but if that rehearsal was any indication, he, not unlike Sinatra, know everybody's part, how he wanted it played, and how he wanted to sing within the arrangement. Once the show started, he was pure "country gentlemen", but when working with the band alone, he was no bullshit, just a cat who really knew his shit.

RIP, sir, and to this day, I'll never forgive myself for coming in a beat early on the intro to "You're Nobody 'Till Somebody Loves You". It was over as soon as it happened, but the bar was set so high that...ooops. No walking back from that one.

Just don't accuse me of being without feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTWuMdGNprc

I can see how you wouldn't forget that. By all accounts he always did exactly what he wanted.

He did an album of standards very late in his long, long career - has anyone here heard it?

• 2 weeks later...