Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

That reminded me of my wife's previous opinion that the BNBB was made up of Blue Note employees who were there to generate interest and get sukcers like me to buy their music.

We may not work for 'em, but we sure seem to be phenomenally good at emptying each others wallets into the coffers of one record company or another!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been groovin' to mcduff's down home style the past few days.

this IS one disc that grooves from start to finish.

the vibrator is one greazy a$$ jam

also like memphis in june

i'm diggin charlie freeman

ss1

Ohhh YEAH that one is unbelievably greeeeeeazy!!! "Theme from Electric Surfboard" and "It's All a Joke" are ten minutes of pure Memphis-fried soul! Gotta love that cover, too!

• 2 weeks later...

Another dimension of my "collector tendencies," (a friendly way of saying OCD) is that I like to have recorded works of acts I've seen live.

Several months back I saw the Dirty Dozen Brass Band but I never picked up any of their discs. The other day I picked up Buck Jump on half.com for $5 and can't take it out of the player (except to bring it to my car) I'm really diggin this one. It was produced by John Medeski and he adds some organ a few tracks.

The other disc I had my eye on was Voodoo with guests Dr John, Dizzy Gillespie and Brandford Marsalis. Anyone with any thoughts on these two discs?

I may just be homesick for south Louisiana since I've moved to Arkansas.

The Dirty Dozen are actually passing through Fayetteville TONIGHT but I can't go. Tough week at work and I need my rest.

Attention Greazy Texans! (perhaps a bit redundant :P )

Righteous Buddha is going to be in Houston a couple times in April and May. If you get a chance, go check them out.

The dates are available on their website

RB website

They don't have samples on their site currently but a couple are available at the Louisiana Music Factory website

samples

Oops, you're right--AFAIK this is Dukes's only appearance with both Benson and the Doctor. Idris Muhammad played on the other records I had in mind (like ALLIGATOR BOGALOO). I haven't heard much out of the McDuff/Benson/Dukes team but I'm sure that one's bad, too.

My B3 has a cherry finish. It's pretty tore up from the road. It used to be almost scratchless. There are pics of it within the photos on our main page: Organissimo.org The best one is probably the photos from the Clearwater Jazz Festival with Ron Blake. That is my B3 on stage.

I also have a 1954 C2 that I've been using to record with. My dad and I refinished that one. It is also cherry.

Over in the CD Baby thread, Jim recommended a CD by Adam Scone which I picked up. I also posted the following over there, but could not figure out how to quote myself "cross thread" :wacko: Anyway, what I said there probably belongs here:

"Digging a little deeper into the Adam Scone vibe ... I noticed that both he and the alto guy on Scone's CD (Ian Hendrickson-Smith, who also has a CD on Sharp Nine) have a band called the Macktet. So ... after listening to a few samples on their site, I snagged this as well (the "Liftoff" CD, they have a few).

This is a very cool CD, with a little more grease and grit than the Scone CD. I could not find this at CD Baby (which of course is the point of this thread ), but I was able to get it from the K-Pasta website (the Macktet's label). Definitely worth checking out."

Eric

A friend made a copy of the 1st disc from the Curtis Amy Select, and you guys’re right: that shtuff is greeeeazy! I know the rest of the set ain’t this way, but I’m gonna pick it up anyway. This guy’s tone is so thick, he could make a hard bop session greeeeazy!

Thanks for the headsup on the Macktet, Eric. I’m gonna check ‘em out!

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite would probably be The Sermon and Houseparty combo, mainly strengthened by contributions from Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller and Tina Brooks.

In the organ trio or trio + sax category I would say Back To The Chicken Shack. I just got Prayer Meetin' in the mail but early thoughts are that it's a good one too.

Listening to Live at Club Mozambique right now. The Turbanator is the High Priest of the greaze!

My favorite Rare Grooves album. I love it because the band burns greeezy on a few, and sounds like a bop combo on some others. Perfect mix!

Idris is unstoppable funky. Just like he is on Grant Green's "Alive."