Death of the iPod (Everyone's buying vinyl)

A Lark Ascending

IIRC, I paid something like $45 for my old watch. It was actually a really nice looking watch, most people thought it was more expensive than it was. If I ever buy another one, I may be willing to spend a little more than that. But it certainly won't be anywhere near $350!

I realize there are people out there who spend $XX,XXX on watches, but not this boy.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll buy the iWatch when they make one that holds at least 500 gigs of music. ;)

I'm intrigued by the practicality of having your earphones connected to your wrist. A bugger when gardening or scrambling around coastal footpaths (not to mention International House Cleaning Day).

Only problem being that the Apple Watch isn't "new" technology. That tech has been around since at least the Palm Pilot. And unless one doesn't own a smart phone, they are perfectly familiar with it.

They just shrunk it even further so that you can wear it on your wrist.

Edited by Scott Dolan

I just don't wear a watch, period.

As I said before, neither do I. But that's not the point, IMO.

The point is that the overwhelming majority of people who do aren't going to spend that kind of money on one. And since most are already tied into phone contracts, and want bigger screens to surf the web...well...

Apple could be grooming the Apple Watch as a kind of replacement for the iPod

I do not wear a watch, have not worn a watch since 1974, don't even own one now, and can still find a way to know what time it is when it matters. And if I ever do buy a watch, it's not gonna be from Apple

You know what else goes on your wrists? Handcuffs.

Speaking of which, I don't wear a wedding ring either, and have remained faithful for every day - and night - of my marriage. So when Apple comes out with their iCockring, I'll not be getting that either.

Gotta admit to being mightily amused at the thought of Tim Cook or Craig Federighi onstage at a future WWDC exhorting the Apple faithful to "Imagine a Fitbit, but for your dick."

On second thought (and after a quick trip to Google), I might have guessed that someone not only already had the same idea, but actually developed it:

http://wgrd.com/oh-good-theres-now-a-fitbit-for-your-dick/

• 5 weeks later...

Apple just announced updates to their iPod line, and they're intriguing: faster processor, faster graphics, faster wi-fi.  It's basically now an iPhone without the cellular capability.  Also, the line now includes a 128 gb model for $399.  So now you basically have a classic iPod with solid-state storage (less prone to breakage than a mechanical hard drive) plus upgraded multimedia capabilities.  Not a bad deal.  

I'm sure what's driving this is they want people to adopt their new streaming service.  Whatever; it seems a good deal for us music people, esp. if you want to replace your aging iPod.

Sounds like an updated/improved version of the iPod Touch, which was already basically just an iPhone minus cellular capability. I'm stoked, because i love my Touch and like having a separate device (to my phone) for music and i will need to replace it at some point.

Edited by xybert

Sounds like an updated/improved version of the iPod Touch, which was already basically just an iPhone minus cellular capability. I'm stoked, because i love my Touch and like having a separate device (to my phone) for music and i will need to replace it at some point.

It's funny how different people can be sometimes. I actually love the fact that I DO have everything all in one device. Less clutter in my pockets. If I had to carry around a phone and an iPod Touch, I'd be annoyed as hell...

That's about what I remember paying for my 120 GB (which is still walking unassisted, but not completely upright). I'm thinking $349.00, maybe? but close enough for time travel.

Yes, i love my 120 GB Classic.  However, its infirmities are showing (especially in battery life), so it's not allowed to leave the house.