Oliver Nelson Jazzhattan Suite & Other Jazz Tone-Poems of the City

Never even heard of this mid-60s Oliver Nelson album on Verve. Just stumbled across a pristine vinyl copy for low dough. I am a sucker for these concrete jungle tone poem jazz albums, and I have at least five that fit this category (not counting crime jazz soundtracks).

I don't think Jazzhattan Suite was ever on CD. What do folks here think of it?

While we're on the subject, what do you think of some of the other albums that fall into this category? Examples would include:

George Russell - New York, NY (Decca)

Manny Albam - Soul of the City (Solid State)

Larry Elgart - The City (MGM) - Composed and arranged by Bobby Scott

Kenyon Hopkins - Lonelyville (ABC) - released under Creed Taylor's name for contractual reasons

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Let me add Phil Moore's 'New York Sweet' (Mercury SR-60783) from 1962 to the above jazzy interpretations of Gotham.

Back to TTK's query about Oliver Nelson's 'Jazzhattan Suite' -- yes, five of six tracks were included in Verve's 'Jazz Masters #48 'Oliver Nelson' CD:

'A Typical Day in New York', 'Penthouse Dawn', 'One For Duke', and 'Complex City'. ('East Side, West Side' gets a 6:28 version versus the 4:10 on vinyl.)

It also appears on Side 2 of 'The Sound of Feeling' (Verve V6-8743) with a running time of 5:45, so pick your take.

Erratum to my above post:

the version of 'East Side, West Side' I said "appears on Side 2 of the 'Sound of Feeling'" is a different track, 'The Sidewalks of New York'.

'Sidewalks' should've been included on 'Jazzhattan Suite' (Verve V6-8731) but was instead added to fill the above 'Sound of Feeling', Verve V6-8743.

Also of interest:

Vinyl copies of 'Jazzhattan Suite' had a small, oval yellow sticker applied to the front jacket: "Music Conducted by Joe Newman", which makes one wonder who insisted.

Great topic, TTK. Would Charles Mingus' MODERN JAZZ SYMPOSIUM qualify, with "Scenes of the City" and "New York Sketchbook" among its tracks? There's also Ralph Burns' NEW YORK'S A SONG and Stan Kenton and Bob Graettinger's CITY OF GLASS... and would Gordon Jenkins' MANHATTAN TOWER count as well?

Yes, great suggestions. Not sure if Manhattan Tower quite fits, as it is almost a quasi-musical written for records and radio.

Never heard the Ralph Burns!

Let me add Phil Moore's 'New York Sweet' (Mercury SR-60783) from 1962 to the above jazzy interpretations of Gotham.

YES! I remember finding a clean copy of this for $2.99 at Cheapo records in Cambridge, MA. It too is a gem, but it's been a while since I've spun it.

Vinyl copies of 'Jazzhattan Suite' had a small, oval yellow sticker applied to the front jacket: "Music Conducted by Joe Newman", which makes one wonder who insisted.

Hmmm…Do you think his initials were J.N.? ;)

I don't think Jazzhattan Suite was ever on CD.

It's on the Mosaic set, no?

From those mentioned so far I've heard the suites of Russell, Graettinger, Mingus and Albam and I prefer the Russell. Haven't listened to the Albam in ten years, but I think I found it a bit pretentious and too film score-ish.

Edited by Daniel A