Sonny Rollins Google Hangout, May 5

Joe

I'm sure question # 1 they'll want to ask is when is he going on the road again. This may prove frustrating for Sonny, who indeed wants to go out again but is listening to his doctors' advice to lay low. The link says 10 people were pre-selected. I wonder if the questions will be screened.

Sounds like a great event, though, a cyber-sitdown with a Zen master and a way for Sonny to stay connected to his fans.

I watched / listened in its entirety. Not sure if this was 100% engineered or a matter of self-selection (how many older folks in the "jazz fan" demographic ore really tuning into Google Hangouts on a regular basis), but most of the questions for Sonny came from young people... I mean, young musicians averaging 15 years of age. Not that they had bad questions; not at all. Just sort of surprising. But a real kick to see Sonny interacting with actual kids.

Probably the most interesting question-as-question came from a tap dancer who wanted Sonny's thoughts on the relationship between his medium / metier and jazz (a word I feel comfortable using here because Sonny used it consistently in his responses).

Sonny dropped some wisdom, of course, preaching practice, patience (in life, not just on the bandstand), advocating for universal musical education. He dished out a few anecdotes, too... I'd never heard him talk about Lockjaw Davis before...

I wouldn't call it essential viewing, no. But how often do you get to spend an hour just hanging out with Sonny Rollins?

Edited by Joe