Herb Jeffries R.I.P.

ghost of miles

Not necessarily a "favorite" singer of mine in terms of just singing, but damn, the guy had body language that was ,iknda like, I bet this guy got laid anytime he wanted to by anybody he wanted anytime he wanted. I can't find it on YouTube, but there's one of those Harlem Hit Parade shows (or something of similar time/place) where he's all sway and jaw movement and arms flying like swans swimming and I was like, DAMN, forget singing as an end unto itself, when it comes to projecting yourself into the world as a life-force through whatever you do, THIS guy had it all together.

It was like this, only even exponentially more (and hello Marshall Royal, correct?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvM2hVMPXwQ

Whatever, let's talk about a life, ok? Herb Jeffries had one, and then some. Maybe that's why some folks end up not having one, Herb Jeffries took theirs and they couldn't find one in the vacuum.Not Herb Jeffries' fault. Not.

Yes, that's Marshall Royal. Meeker says the pianist is Dick Hazard.

Not necessarily a "favorite" singer of mine in terms of just singing, but damn, the guy had body language that was ,iknda like, I bet this guy got laid anytime he wanted to by anybody he wanted anytime he wanted. I can't find it on YouTube, but there's one of those Harlem Hit Parade shows (or something of similar time/place) where he's all sway and jaw movement and arms flying like swans swimming and I was like, DAMN, forget singing as an end unto itself, when it comes to projecting yourself into the world as a life-force through whatever you do, THIS guy had it all together.

It was like this, only even exponentially more (and hello Marshall Royal, correct?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvM2hVMPXwQ

Whatever, let's talk about a life, ok? Herb Jeffries had one, and then some. Maybe that's why some folks end up not having one, Herb Jeffries took theirs and they couldn't find one in the vacuum.Not Herb Jeffries' fault. Not.

He was a Detroit native, born in the old mixed black, Italian, and Irish Black Bottom section as Umberto Ballentino. His very mixed-race heritage, in a highly race-conscious country, meant that he was forced to "pass" at various times as either white or black, but not really allowed to be both at the same time as he actually was.

What a fascinating life he lead, on a number of levels. He was also reportedly married 5 times, including to burlesque star Tempest Storm. And he continued performing into his 90s. Here he is in part an interview taped for the occasion of his 100th birthday last year singing his part from Ellington's Jump for Joy and talking about the maestro himself, the mounting of the show, and what was done to make him look more "black".

Edited by Al in NYC

• 8 years later...