Led Zeppelin Remasters 2014

Soulstation1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true. I believe that II is Les Paul? I is definitely Tele. I wonder what amps he was using.

Okay, according to this page: http://iconicaxes.blogspot.com/2012/09/jimmy-pages-fender-dragon-telecaster.html he used the Tele in some of II as well.

Amazing stuff. My interest in Zep wanes from IV thorugh Physical Grafitti, but man, I through III are just astonishingly good rock albums.

How is the bonus material? -- especially the studio material with II and III? There are twelve threads about these reissues in the Hoffman forums, but I think/fear most of the talk there is about SQ issues and the 'sound' of the original material (and I haven't dared tried to sift through it to find the discussion about the bonus material).

Casual Zep fan myself, but a sucker for interesting bonus material -- when it's interesting.

I haven't listened to any of the bonus material yet. Not that interested in the material, will get to it eventually. I've heard the concert on I before,it's probably improved here.

III sounds most improved here to me. Sounds amazing.

I would only pick up III, as it is the one Zep album that has any staying power for me. OK, two - - Houses of the Holy. OK, three -- Physical Graffitti......

I'll pick up through Physical. . . but not beyond. Already have the box set (lp facsimile) and these new ones sound better, but I never listen to the albums beyond Physical.

I would only pick up III, as it is the one Zep album that has any staying power for me. OK, two - - Houses of the Holy. OK, three -- Physical Graffitti......

I'll pick up through Physical. . . but not beyond. Already have the box set (lp facsimile) and these new ones sound better, but I never listen to the albums beyond Physical.

When I feel like listening to rock these days a YouTube video when I'm browsing the internet will do most of the time. I own practically zero rock CDs right now, but I might make an exception for some of these Zeppelin remasters.

Edited by erwbol

That's true. I believe that II is Les Paul? I is definitely Tele. I wonder what amps he was using.

Okay, according to this page: http://iconicaxes.blogspot.com/2012/09/jimmy-pages-fender-dragon-telecaster.html he used the Tele in some of II as well.

I think he's using a tape echo (echoplex?) to beef things up.

He also used a fuzz box (Tone Bender, modified apparently) with the volume cranked and the distortion low, to fatten up the sound. And the pickups on that Tele are awesome.

Seems he was using a Supra amp at the time according to some pages.

When I feel like listening to rock these days a YouTube video when I'm browsing the internet will do most of the time. I own practically zero rock CDs right now, but I might make an exception for some of these Zeppelin remasters.

I don't do youtube, so I still have some old-fashioned rock cds. :) But more and more it's Hendrix and the Dead for me for most cd rock listening, and I listen to my old rock lps more than cds.

I don't do youtube, so I still have some old-fashioned rock cds. :) But more and more it's Hendrix and the Dead for me for most cd rock listening, and I listen to my old rock lps more than cds.

I used to be a Hendrix nut in high school. I had some 40 Jimi CDs, official and bootleg. This was before the Hendrix family assumed control. The new discs must be improvements?

Edited by erwbol

I agree, for me IV has huge radio burnout, it was always on the radio during the time I most listened to the radio. I really didn't listen to the radio that much prior to its release, and after the 'seventies I pretty much abandoned radio altogether. Just can't take the banter and blabber and ads.

Achilles Last Stand from their seventh effort is the last great track they released.

Agreed. I also like "Tea for One" from that album quite a bit, but "Achilles Last Stand" is spectacular, to me the only truly GREAT track done after IV ("Stairway to Heaven", "The Battle of Evermore") and one of their half-dozen greatest, period.