Buttermilk

JSngry

so that pic you once posted berigan (damn if I could find THAT thread back) of yourself with a milk-moustache... I gather that wasn't butter milk then? Butter milk makes the BEST milk-moustache!

That would be on the show your self, or what ever that thread was called...nope, milk(Minus the butter) for me!

I wonder if the decline in the American taste for buttermilk over the last few generations is the result of a change in Americans' preferences for sweeter and sweeter foods. My grandparents (the children of Russian Jewish immigrants) love sour cream on strawberries, a combination most of my friends find revolting.

I haven't drank buttermilk since I was a kid (at least 34 or more years ago), but my niece (19) flipped out when see saw me sucking on a lemon at XMas. :lol:

Sour cream on strawberries? No problem with that. My 80 yr old Mother is German, I grew up eating all sorts of things. At one point, she got a multi volume set of world cooking books, we got to try all sorts of stuff. Later, I applied this to my taste in music. :w

I don't mind drinking buttermilk every now and then.

I drank it first when I was in Swaziland, they sell it there like soft drinks believe it or not, sweetened with fruit juices, sort of like the yogurt drinks (keefer) here but NOT so sweet.

Edited by jazzbo

Harold McGee's On Food And Cooking is a terrific book. If you ever wasted a year or so in a chemistry lab you can pretend that you even understand what he's talking about in the more complicated passages.

I'm about half way through it. I've learned alot and I considered myself a great cook before I picked it up. My wife says I even better now, and I've been her favorite for almost 13 years now. :wub:

Harold McGee's On Food And Cooking is a terrific book. If you ever wasted a year or so in a chemistry lab you can pretend that you even understand what he's talking about in the more complicated passages.

I'm about half way through it. I've learned alot and I considered myself a great cook before I picked it up. My wife says I even better now, and I've been her favorite for almost 13 years now. :wub:

I don't care too much for drinking buttermilk straight, but it is great to cook with.

On the other hand, there are a number of variants of buttermilk made in Russia that taste delicious straight. The dairy products are very different there, and yield very different flavors when the milk sours.

p_kefir22.jpg

The reigning memory in my life of buttermilk is a faint recalling of a scene in a movie called Time Flyer, a movie I watched often when I was young. The 30's era pilot of some magic airplane, who my mind casts as Christopher Lloyd, knocks back a swig of buttermilk and says something like "ahh, buttermilk. It's the bees knees!".

I always wanted to try buttermilk after seeing that. Think I did once. Can't recall my reaction.

Seriously though, how can anyone dislike something that's the bees knees?

Look what I find in my mailbox this morning:

Subject line: Buttermilk decomposition

Ever wonder how certain celebqrities manage to look so young and thin at their age?

They look very good at their age!

Heaklthy, young, radiant, slim and trim!

Now you can use the same remedy as the world-stars use.

New Foprmula - Doctpor Apeproved And Recommended

Clizck here to stay forever yofung

rem here http:// bikeo9.info /pher/oz.html

(with many a "sic" --eh)

Edited by WNMC