2014-2015 Hot Stove League

JSngry

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in the heck is up with the Sand Diego Padres??? I'm so used to them being a sleepy, boring team, that I don't think I can handle them being.... interesting?? is that really a word to use for the Padres now????

Padres look like they are going to be pretty scary this next season. I don't know if they will be doing anything big this year but in a year or two...look out!

Giants, Pads and Dodgers top three in the NL West. Anybody's call at this point.

Stu Miller has died.

You may recall that he was said to have the slowest pitch in the majors. My favorite player, Harmon Killebrew, said that he always found Stu Miller to be the toughest pitcher to hit.

Joe Garagiola liked to talk about the time Miller was blown off the mound by the Candlestick wind in the '61 All-Star game. I saw that game, and a I recall, the wind merely disrupted his rhythm, causing him to lose his balance. As a result, the balk was called. I always felt that Garagiola was using hyperbole regarding a play that was not particularly shocking. I went to YouTube to find a video of this incident, but didn't find a film - only a mention. Miller discusses this in this AP obit in the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/07/sports/baseball/stu-miller-dies-at-87-blown-off-mound-in-all-star-game.html

Edited by GA Russell

Stu Miller has died.

You may recall that he was said to have the slowest pitch in the majors. My favorite player, Harmon Killebrew, said that he always found Stu Miller to be the toughest pitcher to hit.

Joe Garagiola liked to talk about the time Miller was blown off the mound by the Candlestick wind in the '61 All-Star game. I saw that game, and a I recall, the wind merely disrupted his rhythm, causing him to lose his balance. As a result, the balk was called. I always felt that Garagiola was using hyperbole regarding a play that was not particularly shocking. I went to YouTube to find a video of this incident, but didn't find a film - only a mention. Miller discusses this in this AP obit in the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/07/sports/baseball/stu-miller-dies-at-87-blown-off-mound-in-all-star-game.html

It's ironic that after a 16 year career in the major leagues - a bit of a feat in itself - being a very good relief pitcher, being the NL E,R.A. champion in 1958, pitching a combined no-hitter with Steve Barber (and losing 2-1 on a wild pitch and an error - another bit of a feat in the other direction), Stu Miller is remembered for a wind blown balk in an All Star game. (Incidentally, Miller was the winning pitcher in that game, despite a three base error by Ken Boyer that temporarily surrendered the lead.)

Such are the whims of life.

Edited by paul secor

Two Red Sox books on sale that look interesting:

Game Six (hardback) - $1.88 + $3.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401323103/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It Was Never About the Babe (hardback) - $2.56 + $3.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DPOB688/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I never met Ernie Banks, but my dad had a chance to play a round of golf with him once, and my dad, who would call an asshole an asshole in a quick minute, left the encounter with the strong conviction that Ernie Banks was one the of most genuinely nice men who ever walked the face of the earth.

Enough other people have expressed the same sentiment over the years that I have no choice but to believe it to indeed be the truth.

RIP, and, yeah, let's play two. Anytime.

Some of the heart has gone out of Chicago baseball.

I hate to say it, but the Cubs were ahead of my White Sox when it came to black players. Minoso came to us in 1951 but had to live with an inner city family - the hotel where the rest of the Sox lived was segregated. Banks came to the Cubs in 1953 along with Gene Baker, so Banks would have a roommate, and Sam Jones came to the Cubs in 1955. I don't believe we got a second black player who stayed until Bill Veeck bought the team in 1958.

Gonna miss Buckee Beaver (aka Robbie Ross), but he may or may not be broke. Hope not.

Boston, you're getting a fun, class act with an equally fun, class wife.Enjoy!

That may very well be but your team could very easily come out with the better and more useful pitcher. Ranuado may have struggled in his short time in the majors last year but his AAA numbers suggest that he'd figure it out and do much better eventually. The guy the Sox got is a useful reliever with a very spotty result as a starter. Useful relievers are much easier to come across than 25 year old starters who could be damn good.

What bothers me is that the Sox have now given away two of their youngest starters, guys who might have stepped up in the absence of Lester, Lackey etc.

I'm ok with the Rangers getting the better of the deal. :g

Nevertheless, Mr. & Mrs. Ross give every indication of being beautiful peoples (not the object of the game, I know). I wish them both well.

If Robbie's not broken, and not pressed into starting, he'll be a damn fine short reliever for Boston, very consistent, not to be taken lightly, not at all.

If he is broken...well, a deal's a deal!

• 3 weeks later...