norah, norah, norah...

Man with the Golden Arm

:g

You know after the image loaded I think your inventive seuss-ism did look completely natural.

I listened to a couple of snips after seeing that she has more jazz linkage than other stars crossing the charts. She's got a little too much "yayaya yas" going on in what I did hear but it's always good to get those out! :D

The way she looks, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some Indian blood in the mix .....

amyhome.jpg

From http://trendcentral.com

The next Norah Jones?

Already huge in London, Amy Winehouse could very well be the next big thing in the music industry. Winehouse?s sound is heavily informed by modern day street jazz, r&b and hip-hop. Music critics have pegged her as ?The British Badu? and ?Norah Jones for the hip-hop generation?. Her formative years were spent studying jazz greats like Sarah Vaughn and Dinah Washington but her life as a nineteen-year-old is more influenced by the gritty day to day London lifestyle; such is made obvious in her music and consequently, has given her mass street appeal.

MOBO, a respected British organization dedicated to the growth of urban music, recently named Winehouse as the ?Next Big Thing?. Her name may be unknown in the States right now, but we think it?s possible that she could live up to MOBO?s epithet. Her debut album, Frank, is out on Island Records.

There's an interview on http://www.darkerthanblue.com/.

Amy, I can't think of many people who have ended up on the 1 Xtra and on the BBC Radio 2 play list at the same time, How do you think you're perceived in the media?

I guess I'm a straight jazz singer really. I mean my music incorporates more than that but myself I'm a straight jazz singer. I think that's why I have my songs so much on Radio 2 at the moment. It's been really lovely. And the 1 Xtra thing - yeah, I might outlive the straight jazz hip-hop crossover.

Edited by mikeweil