Traditional Christmas dinner?

Growing up in an Italian family, we used to have those massive, multi-course Italian meals with lasagna, veal parmigiana, Italian sausages, meatballs, etc etc. Those productions were hard to continue, so in my family we now have turkey at Thanksgiving, of course, and roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, gravy, root veggies, etc, on Christmas. I have no idea if this is "authentic" in any way (probably not), but it makes for a nice meal.

But now I find that here in North Carolina, which may be the national pork capital, the tradition is to have a "Christmas ham."

By coincidence, yesterday's paper mentioned that North Carolina is the country's #2 state for pork production.

So I looked it up, and Iowa beats us by a mile.

http://stuffaboutstates.com/agriculture/livestock/hogs.htm

Man, I love brussel sprouts. Pan roasted. Look up Bittman's pages on the delectable.

Dry cured Virginia Ham, Standing Rib Roast, Lamb, local oysters and shrimp, smoked rockfish, trout... Depends on who's hosting. So many great cooks in my family, there is no going wrong!

Christmas Eve is a massive family cocktail party at my Aunt and Uncle's house. Heavy hors d'ouvres and old fashioneds. Merriment abound!

Edited by .:.impossible

We always had turkey growing up. Every year since my wife and I married and bought our home, we've hosted my siblings, their spouses, and children (I have five sisters, a brother, and a step-sister). The first year or two we also had turkey until my wife asked the profound question, "Why are we just having Thanksgiving redux?" Since then, we've fixed roasted leg of lamb along with the appropriate side-dishes (lots of root vegetables prepared in various ways). It took some convincing initially for my siblings to break away from the moldy tradition of turkey, turkey, turkey but now it's become a new tradition that everyone looks forward to each year.

Which reminds me; time to order the leg!

We're having that this year - most often it's beef nowadays - with a shoulder as well, in case there's not enough to go round on the leg. My younger grandson - 13 and as completely obnoxious as only a 13 year old boy CAN be - insists on turkey, we think just to be awkward, so we've got some sliced turkey we can give him for tea.

Oh, in deference to grandson #2, we're also having lobster for starters - I may try a bit but to me there's nothing better than smoked salmon, which I slip into the shopping basket as often as I feel I can get away with it.

MG

My family continues the Christmas Eve tradition of the Feast if the Seven Fishes.

This year was a cannellini bean puree that consists of olive oil, lemon juice and zest, parsley, garlic and crab meat served on crostini, plus...

Shrimp Scampi

Linguine with Clams

Mussells

Baked Clams with Oregano and Bread Crumbs

Calamari

Poached Lobster in a Marinara over Spaghettini

Christmas Day was a beautiful Antipasto of imported meats, cheeses, olives, marinated artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, grilled eggplant caponata and deviled eggs.

Followed by my Mother's Crespelle (Manicotti and my Arancini. I have a Nephew who is the cheese guy for Whole Foods so we do a chees course at the end. This time was all from France for my brother-in-law.