Happy Squirrel Appreciation Day!

My Grandmother used to make squirrel gravy for breakfast. Then we'd have venison for lunch. Shit you eat when you grow up poor in the middle of fucking nowhere.

My uncle would have us over for squirrel stew every so often, after one of his hunting trips. Good stuff, squirrel, tasty, if bony, not unlike rabbit.

But my mom had dibs on the skull. she loved cracking it open and sucking the brains out.

I'd say that was a southern/country thing, but my dad, from Sterling, Illinois, loved chicken hearts and bone marrow.

People just eat weird stuff, period. And venison is considered a delicacy these days, and not without some cause!

Meet the Mutant Squirrels of City Hall Park

melanistic-squirrel-sm.jpg

Walk through City Hall Park in Lower Manhattan and you'll notice several things.

There are the people in suits who are usually in a hurry. There are tourists — lots of them. As it is quite a lovely outdoor space, there are a number of trees. And then there are squirrels. More squirrels than seems natural.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2015/01/meet_the_mutant_squirrels_of_city_hall_park.php?utm_source=Newsletters&utm_medium=email