Question for those who enjoy Keith Jarrett

A Lark Ascending

Everyone else, restrain yourselves. There are other threads...

Jarrett was one of my entry points to jazz in the mid-70s. Over the years I've enjoyed his solo work, the Standards Trio, the American Quartet (especially), the European Quartet and, to a lesser extent, some of his own works for orchestra etc (I've not bothered with his classical music interpretations).

I have no experience of those records where he plays other instruments and percussion - things like No End (recent I know) or Spirits. But listening to the excellent Hamburg '72 release which has a fair bit of 'off the piano' playing I was wondering if they might be worth exploring.

So.

a) Jarrett at his most noodling or music with its own beauties?

b) Any one to start with?

I enjoy Spirits, although i don't think i've ever listened all the way through both discs in one sitting. Usually 6-7 tracks or so does me. I remember picking it up after seeing it on a list of favourite albums of an artist that i really dug... pretty sure it was John Hollenbeck but i'll have to double check when i get home (googling's not bringing it up but i took a screenshot of it at the time).

Edit: Yeah it was Hollenbeck.

Edited by xybert

Is Jarrett a hippie dude at heart? I'd say yes, but judging from that video, Charles Lloyd was just as much. That was the time when everybody did part of their basement jam sessions in public, I found it just as frustrating back then as I do now, as there is a lot of playing along each other without any real deep interaction. I dunno. Each to his own. Maybe just don't get what they wanna say ...

Well I´m not the Keith Jarrett freak like many were during that special time in the mid 70´s, late 70´ all those solo performances and the ECM stuff. Sure it must be fantastic music, but not my kind of thing.

I really dug Keith for his piano with the Charles Lloyd Quartet of the late 60´s . Even if Lloyd never was my first choice, this was a very good group.

I love his electric piano/organ stuff on Miles´ 1971 group, and later I picked one album with a very fine acoustic trio, something dedicated to Miles....

He sure can play fantastic, no question, but somehow I never was t h e Keith Jarrett groupie like many folks from my generation were or still are.....

Listened this morning whilst planning my work for the week.

Sounded exactly as I expected - except more melodic than I'd imagined. Not something I could sit and listen to on its own but a nice 'ambient' recording.

I notice Jarrett has recorded some Lou Harrison pieces. Maybe this is partially coming out of that 'American Maverick' tradition delving into non-Western music.