John Surman

Milestones

Great concert at Turner-Sims last night. Surman in superb form - have seen him quite a few times over the years and really can't recall hearing him play better. Like all great jazz players, he has a truly unique sound. For this concert, concentrated on baritone and soprano and it was good to hear some really good, strong workouts on the big horn. The band were stunning too, very reactive to each other and they gelled very well with the Surman style.

Nice to hear them do 'Where Fortune Smiles' and a lovely version of Coltrane's ballad 'Central Park West' as the well-deserved encore.

Before the concert he said that he had jetted in after a 12 hour journey from Oslo and was pretty well 'wiped' but you would never guess it from the amount of energy on show. Very impressive considering the very limited rehearsal opportunity.

Really glad you enjoyed it! I felt a little like I'd died and gone to heaven, sitting in that proximity to the baritone sound...hearing him play 'When Fortune Smiles' like that...wow...

Hope this group gets recorded - it will be a winner !

That version of 'Where Fortune Smiles' was amazing. I'm familiar with the performance on the Dawn LP with Karl Berger that sound almost like a nursery rhyme and also the version on Harry Beckett's 'Flare Up' but can't recall hearing a Surman baritone version before.

Edited by sidewinder