"How Verve Got Gutted"

Back in 2003, Verve released the 2 CD Jukebox Ella: The Complete Verve Singles Vol. 1.

Jukebox_Ella.jpg

Here we are 12 years later and with this current change in management direction, it's a pretty safe bet we will never see Vol. 2 materialize.

i admit that i have no clue about geffen or the management at verve before them. but from the history of sampling by rappers i know that they at least listen to and dig some jazz. so from that perspective i think there is at least as good if not better a chance to see some reissues than from any other commercially thinking management.

Edited by uli

• 3 years later...
On 3/21/2015 at 0:37 PM, duaneiac said:

Back in 2003, Verve released the 2 CD Jukebox Ella: The Complete Verve Singles Vol. 1.

Jukebox_Ella.jpg

Here we are 12 years later and with this current change in management direction, it's a pretty safe bet we will never see Vol. 2 materialize.

I wonder whether there was an error in calling it Volume 1.  I recently found a used copy of Jukebox Ella.  Per the booklet, it contains singles recorded between 1956 and 1967.  It seems unlikely there were singles recorded after 1967, because her first release for Capitol was in 1967.  Unless someone here knows otherwise, this is probably simply "The Complete Singles."