Wayne Shorter: Bebop Hallucination

Sounds like truly free jazz. Outstanding if as portrayed, and absolutely no reason to think it wasn't.

Any cell phone recordings about yet?

For some reason Jim because of the free jazz and Wayne connection, I am thinking of you screaming "Hello?!" like you do on Ambien Variations. :)

Edited by CJ Shearn

I caught the Wayne Shorter Quartet the following night in Carmel, Indiana. I almost decided to go to the Detroit gig, spend the night and then go to Indiana the next day, but I ended up just going to the Indiana concert (I drove the 5 hours there by myself :eye: :eye: ). I remember Wayne playing a quick snippet from a Charlie Parker tune after someone whistled a bird call before the encore at a concert in Buffalo, but it sounds like the bebop medley was really something. I'll continue to kick myself for not also attending the Detroit gig. I've seen the group three times in Detroit (the most recent with an orchestra and Esperanza Spalding), so here's hoping that Wayne continues to make Detroit a regular stop (and hopefully visits Cleveland and/or Pittsburgh). Great article, Mark!

The Wayne Shorter Quartet is such an adventurous, intense and fun group that continues to grow. Not many groups could play a 37-minute piece, followed by a 22-minute piece and manage to sustain interest and maintain momentum throughout, and the way that the group has mastered the art of tension and release is an achievement. From the sight of sheet music on the Indiana stage, it looked like the group was working on new material. From the sound of it, we are in for another hell of an album from one of the great bands in the music. Like Lee Konitz, whom I also try to catch whenever possible, Wayne Shorter continues to amaze into his 80s.

Edited by Justin V

• 2 weeks later...