BLOW UP on DVD

The Mule

Not sure if I should have posted this here or in the "Misc. Non-Political" thread, but I thought I'd give everybody a heads up on this: The just-released DVD of Michaelangelo Antonioni's classic 60s film BLOW UP has a bonus feature which isolates Herbie Hancock's great score on a music-only track!

I picked it up this afternoon, but only had a chance to to watch Jeff Beck destroy a guitar with the Yardbirds. I'll screen it this weekend.  B)

Not just Jeff Beck, but this short-lived lineup featured Jimmy Page on guitar as well! It's really a fluke that they appeared in the movie, though. The director really wanted the Who (and the guitar-smashing Townsend), but for whatever reason, they didn't make it. BTW, guitar buffs will notice that the guitar Beck destroys is not a valuable Les Paul, his regular axe, but a much cheaper Gibson.

• 4 weeks later...

Received a copy today - got it on ebay at a reasonable price.

Visual quality is great, extra features are the two trailers and the audio only track - and this one bears a major sensation:

The audio only track features other, never before heard takes not on the soundtrack CD!!!!

Listen closely, and you'll see what I mean. Longer versions, extended solos, they are placed at the same points as the known takes. This is great! At last this music is available.

Only flaw is that you cannot access these tracks directly, only the scenes, and the music starts earlier in most cases.

This is one of my all time favourite directors and movies, and now this find!!!

Whoa, Mike - - - - - chill out!

I picked up the DVD myself, recently (it's one of my favorite films). I just haven't had the chance to pull it out and listen/watch yet.

So, does it have a separate "music" only track that you can listen to like a CD, or is it the whole film with just the music (without dialog and other sounds) on the audio channel?

Whoa, Mike - - - - - chill out!

I picked up the DVD myself, recently (it's one of my favorite films). I just haven't had the chance to pull it out and listen/watch yet.

So, does it have a separate "music" only track that you can listen to like a CD, or is it the whole film with just the music (without dialog and other sounds) on the audio channel?

The latter. I wasn't too impressed with the music. :rfr

Is there a way to extract that audio only track with some software? Would make nicer listening without the long silent passages in between.

It's not overwhelming music, but a nice Herbie Hancock piano ballad with Jim Hall heard nowhere else and some groovy alternates.

Is there a way to extract that audio only track with some software? Would make nicer listening without the long silent passages in between.

It's not overwhelming music, but a nice Herbie Hancock piano ballad with Jim Hall heard nowhere else and some groovy alternates.

WHOA!!

uh, just kiddin'

I would of course like to hear it. As far as seing the film, a good copy screened in a theatre still beats the hell out of any DVD, so I'm not at all interested in that, but, hey, if you can extract that audio part... get the drift? THat would be WHOA!! indeed, then!

ubu ;)

* Rip DVD to hard disk http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

* Create D2V file of your VOB files http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/

(resample to 44.1 kHz)

* Edit sound

Let me know if you have problems.

There is actually a new (re-release???) recording out called "Herbie Hancock: Blow Up-Extra Sessions" but I don't think it is from the movie :angry: , although I think the label wants us to think it is. I haven't heard it but it's on the Warwick label (before Herbie was on BN).

Mark

If it's Warwick it's probably truncated takes from the Donald Byrd - Pepper Adamsa sessions with Herbie on that label, which have been bootlegged to exhaustion. :rolleyes: Some issues didn't even include Herbie but edited material from Teddy Charles sessions with Bookers Ervin and Little from the same label.

I would of course like to hear it. As far as seing the film, a good copy screened in a theatre still beats the hell out of any DVD, so I'm not at all interested in that, but, hey, if you can extract that audio part... get the drift? THat would be WHOA!! indeed, then!

Of course seeing it in a movie theatre beats the hell out of pretty much anything ...

I'll see what I - or my burning assistant - can do about it - Thanks a lot to rockefeller center for technical advice!

The track titles of that "Blow Up Extra Sessions" CD sehldonm mentioned indeed reads like another version of the Warwick bootlegs I described. Stay away from it!

The Fresh Sound reissues give the most complete edition of this material, no matter if it's Donald Byrd with Herbie, or Teddy Charles without. (Noal Cohen and I researched the discographical data behind them)