RIP Dusty "The American Dream" Rhodes

Yeah, I have a real problem with Dan. What that has to do with you is way beyond me, since you and I used to get along. It's really too bad you feel the need to stand in on his behalf. I prefer to take on my own battles, and don't really get the buddy system.

It's also pretty curious that when Dan gets nasty with other posters, I've never seen you chime in on their behalf.

Abdullah The Butcher owes a BBQ joint in Georgia

Doesn't he have a radio show as well? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

*edit*

Never mind, I believe it may be the Iron Shiek that has a radio show.

Edited by Scott Dolan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing to remember Dusty , Vince McMahon hated the dude , he gave him the corniest gimmick possible when he worked in WWF (The one where they sent him do these horrible skits and made him wear the outfit with yellow dots) but Rhodes ran with it and deliver the goods. How much did McMahon hated him remember the million dollar gimmick and his lackey Virgil well what is the real name of Dusty Rhodes... you guessed it Virgil ?

Thought this one dove-tailed in nicely with what you posted here:

http://deadspin.com/this-is-the-best-dusty-rhodes-anecdote-1710954542

Yeah, I have a real problem with Dan. What that has to do with you is way beyond me, since you and I used to get along. It's really too bad you feel the need to stand in on his behalf. I prefer to take on my own battles, and don't really get the buddy system.

It's also pretty curious that when Dan gets nasty with other posters, I've never seen you chime in on their behalf.

It's not curious at all, for a few reasons:

I haven't gotten nasty with anyone but you, the resident ass-hat, in quite a while.

And, I haven't said a fucking thing at you except after you say some stupid shit at me, like "you know it's fake, right?"

You might want to consider the likelihood that Mark has realized, thru simple observation of your posts, that you are in fact the biggest douchebag on the board. I've lost track of how many people have told me the same in PMs.

It's not a matter of standing up for Dan; he can stand up for himself. I'm just sick and tired of you continuously trying to stir up shit. Dan has what I guess would be called "anger issues"; that is obvious to everyone. What should also be obvious is that he has put some serious work into controlling that problem. You, on the other hand, seem to come here only to poke him with a stick and see if you can get a rise. So while Dan has worked (with varying degrees of success) to better himself, you've dedicated your time here to being an internet troll. You really need to quit blaming Dan for your actions and look in the mirror.

It's not a matter of standing up for Dan; he can stand up for himself. I'm just sick and tired of you continuously trying to stir up shit. Dan has what I guess would be called "anger issues"; that is obvious to everyone. What should also be obvious is that he has put some serious work into controlling that problem. You, on the other hand, seem to come here only to poke him with a stick and see if you can get a rise. So while Dan has worked (with varying degrees of success) to better himself, you've dedicated your time here to being an internet troll. You really need to quit blaming Dan for your actions and look in the mirror. Yes, because what I said was just SO nasty and offensive. From his "elbow" comment it sounded as though he may have been amongst the holdouts who still think pro wrestling is real. I also stated that I do not like Dan. But, I did not blame him for anything I said or did, that's just something you made up entirely.

But, enough of your drama queen tag team match. Though, I guess there's never been a more appropriate thread for it. ;)

Anyone not familiar with the genesis of this little feud can read all about it right here. Where once again I was obviously the rude and nasty aggressor in the exchange.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Yes, after a trial by jury. Not because the media proclaimed him guilty. I said in that thread that the evidence did not look good for him. You were too busy trying to cram your guess down everyone else's throat as fact to notice. Although the "see, I told you so" childishness isn't unexpected.

And yes, it was a great blast from the past. Showing you sliding into extreme belligerance simply because someone disagreed with you. Politely.

But now it's poor little ol' downtrodden Dan when I ask "you do know it's fake, right?"

Kinda hilarious that one of us is the only one who's told the other to fuck off multiple times. Isn't it? But hey, fine job controling your anger issues.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Before that Angelo Mosca parlayed his football fame into a wrestling career

Don't forget Ernie "Big Cat" Ladd. He was part if Eddie Graham's Florida wrestling circle for a short time. Not sure where else he wrestled.

Ladd never played in CFL, remember him doing Mid-South among others with Bill Watts.

Before that Angelo Mosca parlayed his football fame into a wrestling career

Don't forget Ernie "Big Cat" Ladd. He was part if Eddie Graham's Florida wrestling circle for a short time. Not sure where else he wrestled.

Ladd never played in CFL, remember him doing Mid-South among others with Bill Watts.

Oh! My bad! I misread and thought we were talking about NFL. No, he definitely never played in the CFL.

I wonder how many former professional football players became regulars in the professional wrestling world. Dwayne Johnson doesn't really count, I suppose. Since he never really played professional football. But, there must be more than the three we've mentioned so far.

I had Ernie Ladd's 1962 Fleer bubble gum card when he played for the Chargers. Ladd played in the AFL.

I had Leo Nomenilli's card in 1959 when he was with the 49ers. It said on the back that he wrestled in the off-season.

I remember well Wahoo McDaniel playing for Denver and New York Jets in the AFL in the '60s. He was called Wahoo because he wrestled in the off-season as the Indian chief The Great Wahoo. I recall reading many years later that he said that the most he made playing football in a year was $45,000; and the most he made wrestling in a year was $600,000.

Edited by GA Russell

I remember well Wahoo McDaniel playing for Denver and New York Jets in the AFL in the '60s. He was called Wahoo because he wrestled in the off-season as the Indian chief The Great Wahoo. I recall reading many years later that he said that the most he made playing football in a year was $45,000; and the most he made wrestling in a year was $600,000.

Wahoo-McDaniel.jpg

Man, I'm glad you posted that, Dave.

Although GA claims not to know much about wrestling, when he called him The Great Wahoo I was dusting off the memory banks. I couldn't recall him being called that. I just knew him as Chief Wahoo McDaniel. Yet, when I "Googled" that name, it just kept showing me that awful Cleveland Indians logo.

Interesting...

Dave, Wikipedia says that McDaniel's first name was Ed. But I have a strong recollection that it was Jim. Maybe I had a Denver bubble gum card that said "Jim." Do you recall him as Ed McDaniel?

...and even more interesting.

Scott, I won't bet the ranch that he was called The Great Wahoo. I don't remember him as a wrestler. I only remember all the talk about him during the football broadcasts. I was an AFL fan.

Now I see on Wikipedia that there was an ABA/NBA player I vaguely recall named Jim McDaniels. It's likely that that's where I'm getting the name Jim from.

I just remember him wrestling in the late 70's, or very early 80's which was within that small window of time that I kept up with it. But I don't recall much of anything about him. Just his wearing of the headdress to the ring.

Wish I could have seen some of the old AFL games, but unfortunately it all became the NFL the year I was born (1970).

Edited by Scott Dolan

Having followed wrestling until the late eighties, Wahoo kept the same gimmick of the bad ass Indian and he was a legit tough guy was involved in his share of incidents. Regarding Ernie Ladd most of the workers thought he was a sweetheart to work with, very considerate, always made sure he didn't hurt anyone.

Among recent ones, Steve McMichael did work in wrestling , most famous one was former Falcon Bill Goldberg .

Best pro footballer/pro wrestler ever title does belong though to Bronco Nagurski who ended up in the NFL HOF and "won" the NWA world title.

Edited by Van Basten II

Dave, Wikipedia says that McDaniel's first name was Ed. But I have a strong recollection that it was Jim. Maybe I had a Denver bubble gum card that said "Jim." Do you recall him as Ed McDaniel?

Can't say that I do - I only remember print ads and handbills from the late 60s/early 70s advertising local wrestling matches that billed him as Wahoo McDaniel. I don't think I ever ran across a mention of what his real name was.