Kickstarter for Junior Mance's Final Album

Justin V

There is currently a Kickstarter campaign for what is going to be the great Junior Mance's final album, to be released on his 87th birthday, October 10th. The album is going to consist of four tunes with his working trio and two solo performances.  Although this will be his last album, he is still active and has a regular gig at the Café Loup in New York, which I hope to catch at some point.  As a backer of the project, I'm looking forward to hearing the album.

Edited by Justin V

Why would this be his Final Album?  If he's still playing, he's still creating, and never-say-never-and-all-that.  C'mon, he's only 87 -- not even the pianists' ideal *88* years old. :P

( I happen to have quite a bit of Junior on DATs, and if he were to release some at a later date, wouldn't that negate this "Final Album"?)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reminder but I am really confused about the status of this.  I went for a $50 contribution, more than I wanted but felt like he needed, and now I wonder,  maybe wasn't necessary considering the project update that was sent to me?

I am happy to announce that all pieces of Junior's CD are coming together.  I'm expecting the delivery to be within the next 10 days.  Contributions can be made for the next five days.  Log onto juniormance.com to contribute.. Thanks again...  Gloria

He's still down $1700 but she's expecting delivery in 10 days? How is this being produced if they are dependent on Kickstarter? And what happens if this doesn't fund?  They aren't supposed to get diddly yet they appear to have a batch of CDs and artwork en route? It almost makes me think this Kickstarter campaign wasn't for production of a "final' release at all.  :wacko:

I'm surprised by your response, Dan.  I'm not sure how familiar you are with Kickstarter, but I've backed over 20 successful projects.  It is pretty common for the album to be in some state of production while the Kickstarter funding is ongoing.  In this case, the recording session occurred before the project launched and the target date for sending out the project rewards was set for October.  With that target date so close on the heels of the project's end date, it's not surprising that the CDs are being manufactured now.  Many Kickstarter projects take much longer to get to the reward stage.

With any release, there are studio costs, musician fees, mechanical royalties, manufacturing costs, artwork costs, promotion costs, etc.  In the case of an independent artist, those costs can really add up and using Kickstarter to essentially sell pre-orders can go a long way in defraying at least some of those costs.  

In Junior Mance's case, he has produced a few albums on his own JunGlo label.  You'll note that the album is entitled, For My Fans, It's All About You.  The Kickstarter project is a way for his fans to get involved and help support his final recording, which I think is pretty special.

In my experience the project is dependent upon the funding (Look at the projects funded for Organissimo and Jim's solo projects, or Mike Flanigin's new release).  What is going to happen if the project fails to reach it's goal?  They get none of what was pledged.  What exactly is happening then?

I'm not sure why you don't see this as somewhat 'cart ahead of horse' but I surely do.

Having said that I never intended to imply that I hope he doesn't reach the goal. I just don't expect projects that are limping toward the finish line to have updates along these lines, rather than "please help us get over the top! Tell your friends! Spread the word!"

It is definitely a strange Kickstarter campaign.  There are very few people just getting the CD, whereas usually the bottom of the pyramid is pretty wide.  There are obviously a few people that really chipped in, but they did make it past $6000.  This is one of the few campaigns where it seems my contribution actually moved the needle... 

Still about a day and a half left if you want in on what may be Junior's last CD.

"may be his last CD" and "final album" are not the same thing? I am confused? Help?

They've updated the text on the project page to say that this "may be his final CD," so there is a bit of wiggle room, given that he is still playing gigs.  I guess you could say it is mostly likely his final CD.

"may be his last CD" and "final album" are not the same thing? I am confused? Help?

I believe that they are implying that Junior may be able to do another live recording but he will not be going into the studio again.

Given that the last update from Gloria is a picture of her with Junior in what looks like a hospital room or a room in a nursing home, it would seem that he isn't going to be making too many more recordings of any kind. He is going to be 87 in two weeks.

Thank You from Junior and Gloria

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan