Mulgrew Miller's "Getting To Know You"

Larry Kart

Just ran across this 1995 Novus album. If you can find a copy, don't hesitate. What a "comprehensive" pianist Miller was by this time, so much personal harmonic variety and flexibility (doesn't sound like Herbie, or McCoy, or Bill Evans or anyone else really, though I do hear some distant and welcome echoes of Earl Hines) coupled to quite individual melodic impulses, plus lots of rhythmic intensity that also leaves one with a nice "I've got enough time and chops to think of and execute anything" feeling. Not that this is news, but Miller was one DEEP subtle player.

19 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Fond memories of seeing his 'Hand In Hand' band in 1992. All of the Novus releases are worth picking up.

Never thought of an Earl Hines connection but come to think of it, I sort of hear it !

I agree; Hand in Hand, like all of Miller's Novus albums, is well worth hearing.  Now that I know that that band toured in support of the album, I can lament the absence of a live album.  I've been thinking of Miller a lot lately, having recently picked up three of his Landmark albums (Keys to the City, Work! and Wingspan).

Just trying to recall the lineup for the 'Hand in Hand' gig - Steve Nelson on vibes, Wallace Roney on trumpet. Don't think there was a sax on that gig and can't recall who was on bass and drums (might have been Lewis Nash on the latter). Part of a Western Canada/US tour.

Fortunate to have seen a fair number of gigs with Mulgrew - as part of bands led by Woody Shaw, Tony Williams and Blakey - as well as with 'Wingspan'. He is truly missed !

Yeah, he's one of those guys who I kept expecting to get blase or cynical about, "in the tradition" and all that, gotta figure at some point the "too easy" thing will rear up, but nope, never happened. Don't expect it ever will.

In some players, the "deep skills" thing ends up being about the skills, and then, oh well, time to change partners. But with this guy, nope. It always ends up being about the deep.

Hooray for Mulgrew Miller, to appropriate Boris Rose.