What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As we are starting a Bruckner anniversary year this is a stunning "live" performance of Symphony 5 by Horst Stein  and the rather unheralded Sinfonieorchester Wuppertal @ Stadthalle Wuppertal on October 17th, 2000 .... wow ....

NS01NjM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez, Fantasía para un gentilhombre, and other works (DG/Eloquence)
Narciso Yepes with Odón Alonso and the Orquesta Sinfónica Española

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-195759942.jpeg

A superb rendition.

Edited by HutchFan

On 12/31/2023 at 5:29 PM, HutchFan said:

Now listening to Kubelik's studio rendition of Mahler's Third Symphony:

My04OTgyLmpwZWc.jpeg

I've said it before but I'll say it again: IMO, no other conductor divines the inner architecture of this massive, sprawling symphony better than Kubelik.  Not even Horenstein.

Kubelik and Mahler, ... biggest thumb i can find !

Kubelik and Mahler both have the same Zodiac Sign ... here i go again.

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm now listening to Beethoven's Violin Concerto performed by Arthur Grumiaux, Colin Davis, and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra -- as heard on this set:

MjEtNjA5Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

What is your favorite performance of the Beethoven Violin Concerto .... ?

14 minutes ago, soulpope said:

What is your favorite performance of the Beethoven Violin Concerto .... ?

It's very difficult to pick one.  Some favorites: Oistrakh/Clyutens, Perlman/Giulini, Szeryng/Haitink . . . 

I always enjoy hearing Grumiaux's suave, elegant sound, but I'm not sure he has sufficient thrust and heat for it to be a favorite with LvB's Violin Concerto.  . . . On the other hand, Grumiaux's strengths mesh well with Davis' interpretation, which emphasizes delicacy and inner detail over drama.  It's a Francophile/"low countries" approach to Beethoven, I suppose, instead of the big-"R" Romantic way we typically associate with the German tradition.  . . . Or at least that's how I've interpreted their interpretation!  ;) 

So which Beethoven VC recordings are your favorites?

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

It's very difficult to pick one.  Some favorites: Oistrakh/Clyutens, Perlman/Giulini, Szeryng/Haitink . . . 

I always enjoy hearing Grumiaux's suave, elegant sound, but I'm not sure he has sufficient thrust and heat for it to be a favorite with LvB's Violin Concerto.  . . . On the other hand, Grumiaux's strengths mesh well with Davis' interpretation, which emphasizes delicacy and inner detail over drama.  It's a Francophile/"low countries" approach to Beethoven, I suppose, instead of the big-"R" Romantic way we typically associate with the German tradition.  . . . Or at least that's how I've interpreted their interpretation!  ;) 

So which Beethoven VC recordings are your favorites?

ab67616d0000b273e3bb99ab80963901d20215f5

This is all about emotions .... and makes my heart beat stronger reliably .... and as alternative Perlman/Giulini ....