What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

I've been listening to lots of Robert Schumann's music for solo piano over the last few days. Mostly as performed by Claudio Arrau -- but also Argerich, Kissin, Alexeev, Perahia, et al.

I've also ordered a Geza Anda box that includes 2 CDs of Schumann's music. Looking forward to hearing it. (The box is "The Art of Geza Anda" on Brilliant Classics, a reissue of his solo piano recordings originally on DG.)

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 
– Quartet for Strings No.1 in G major K80
– Quartet for Strings No.2 in D major K155 (134a)
– Quartet for Strings No.3 in G major K156 (134b)
– Quartet for Strings No.4 in C major K157
– Quartet for Strings No.5 in F major K158
Paolo Borciani (violin), Elisa Pegreffi (violin), Piero Farulli (viola), Franco Rossi (cello) – Quartetto Italiano (Philips / Decca Music)

81buu0sdhvL._SX425_.jpg  R-5027768-1382531753-6995.jpeg.jpg

R-7642794-1445779457-8014.jpeg.jpgImage result for john corigliano: symphony no. 2; suite

The Higdon off the first. Yet to really connect to either of these records.

Image result for rebecca clarke

Very enjoyable collection of varied pieces from the first forty years of the 20thC. Brahms, Ireland, Bridge come to mind....even Stravinsky in the later pieces. Despite writing only a small body of work she seems to have quite a following - I notice two new releases of largely the same music in 2016 alone.

Image result for ludovic morlot - dutilleux: shadows of time

Another listen. The Cello concerto is especially beautiful. Would love to hear it live.

R-6374871-1417689687-2792.jpeg.jpg

Just started Bostridge's recent book 'Winter Journey' which examines 'Winterreise' with a chapter to each song, exploring the songs and poems but venturing much more widely. Very impressed so far - he admits to having never studied music so approaches it more as a cultural historian (his degree was in history). Nicely down to earth and unpretentious yet displaying an incredibly wide knowledge of music, history, literature etc. Prior to seeing a performance of 'Winterreise' in Sheffield next month (by someone else).    

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Édouard Lalo – Symphonie espagnole pour violon et orchestre Op.21
Max Bruch – Violin Concerto No.1 in G minor Op.26
— Yehudi Menuhin (violin) – San Francisco Symphony Orchestra – Pierre Monteux (RCA Victor Red Seal / Sony Classical)

ImgW.ashx?fd=f3&cd=AA237536  762.jpg

On 4.10.2016 at 7:52 PM, alankin said:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 
– Quartet for Strings No.1 in G major K80
– Quartet for Strings No.2 in D major K155 (134a)
– Quartet for Strings No.3 in G major K156 (134b)
– Quartet for Strings No.4 in C major K157
– Quartet for Strings No.5 in F major K158
Paolo Borciani (violin), Elisa Pegreffi (violin), Piero Farulli (viola), Franco Rossi (cello) – Quartetto Italiano (Philips / Decca Music)

81buu0sdhvL._SX425_.jpg  R-5027768-1382531753-6995.jpeg.jpg

A magnificent chamber music ensemble ....

Image result for haydn symphonies decca

9-12; Symphony A/B (Partita) in B flat major (snappy little titles!). 

R-3855599-1347036583-7016.jpeg.jpgR-3972766-1380577234-4168.jpeg.jpg

The latter whilst making a fruit cake, as Bach intended.

Image result for Bach Hewitt inventionsImage result for bach keyboard music a listeners

First three pieces in order to try and make more sense of what I heard Hewitt play t'other night. The above guide book proved very helpful (not recommended to 'the connoisseur'). I find the idea of two hands playing three lines of music very hard to get my head round. I'm not really able to hear all three at once - when I've focused on the lower line I miss the other two and have to redirect my ears. The complexity of this music is staggering (and the inventions were apparently teaching tools!) and I've only got a bare grasp of it. However, I was completely floored by the Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue. Music I've played many times but I think I only heard it yesterday. 

This morning:

Image result for handel concerti grossi op 3

R-1127286-1194227496.jpeg.jpgR-509616-1469217090-7223.jpeg.jpg

Disc 1 of the first. Nancarrow is relatively new to me - starts with pieces that sound like upended boogie-woogie, in places rather Latin and then onto later more abstract things. You're inclined to think this music was an inspiration for free jazz piano but it only seems to have become widely know after that was well established. Exciting, original stuff.  

Image result for dvorak symphonies vaclav neumann

No. 8

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart  
– Symphony No.32 in G major K 318
– Symphony No.35 in D major K 385 "Haffner"
– Symphony No.39 in E flat major K 543
English Chamber Orchestra – Jeffrey Tate (EMI Classics)

41AaIDI4d9L.jpg   117028977-3.jpg

Edited by alankin

Now playing:
Yuquijiro Yocoh – Variations on Sakura
Stephen Dodgson – Fantasy-divisions for Guitar
Manuel Ponce – Sonatina meridional
Heitor Villa-Lobos – Chôros No.1 for Guitar
Antonio Lauro – Vals Criollo
Jorge Gomez Crespo – Norteña
Vicente Emilio Sojo – 5 Venezuelan Melodies (Transc.: Alirio Diaz)
Agustín Barrios Mangoré – Danza Paraguaya No.1
— John Williams — Music from England, Japan, Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina and Mexico (Columbia Master Works / Sony Classical) 0888430929425.jpg51eFoCI8dlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by alankin

R-1127286-1194227496.jpeg.jpgR-2863551-1304546896.jpeg.jpg

Disc 2 of the first. Way too complex to take in on one listen (or, I suspect, on several dozen listens) but the music has an immediately thrilling effect. The Johnston is equally compelling, utterly in its own world. Must get the discs of the other quartets.  

R-3262228-1322875382.jpeg.jpg

One of my favourite Mozarts - and one of the pieces that turned Mozart from someone I listened to every now and then because I thought I ought to to someone I genuinely enjoyed. 'Amadeus' was to blame! 

R-3184869-1469115822-7940.jpeg.jpg

4 has never been a favourite (1/5/7/8/9 are my frequent fliers) but yesterday afternoon this really clicked. 

This morning, more Mozart:

R-2408982-1282415714.jpeg.jpg

Whilst painting a ceiling (Adam's hand is proving especially tricky):

Image result for beethoven zinman overturesR-6664386-1425362083-8466.jpeg.jpg

The glorious Quintet off the latter.

Image result for Brahms serenades chaillyImage result for John AdamsImage result for szymanowski stabat

I love those Brahms serenades. Always make me want to buy lederhosen and go and hunt boar. 

R-8000328-1453225766-2944.jpeg.jpg

SQ5 off Spotify. Don't know Rochberg at all. But there's a nice short article in the new Gramophone recommending American string quartets and this one gets a thumbs up. Quite late 19thC in feel initially though later you enter a world not unlike Schoenberg or Berg at their less severe. Early days but worth following up. 

Ludwig van Beethoven 
– Sonata for Piano No.19 in G minor Op.49/1
– Sonata for Piano No.21 in C major Op.53 "Waldstein"
– Sonata for Piano No.23 in F minor Op.57 "Appassionata"
– Sonata for Piano No.25 in G major Op.79
– Sonata for Piano No.26 in E flat major Op.81a "Les Adieux"
Eric Heidsieck (piano) (EMI Music France)

51DOR72J-2L.jpg

Edited by alankin

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

51uOVQkmwfL.jpg

Excellent virtuoso playing on two fabulous sounding copies of 16th century Italian harpsichords. Mostly rarely heard composers, but fantastic music.

The title was translated incorrectly, it should be "Late 16th century Venetian harpsichord", not 'last" ... 

Aymes' Frescobaldi is excellent IIRC.