What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another listen to:

Image result for peter maxwell davies: naxos quartets nos. 5

Image result for august macke stormImage result for nielsen blomstedt

No. 3 of the latter, once again with a helping hand from Robert Simpson. I've 'known' the piece since the late 70s (an Ole Schmidt LP if I recall correctly - that should get me connoisseur points!!!) but Simpson's analysis doesn't half increase your enjoyment (when I understand it!). Some great bits when his personal irritations at contemporary orthodoxies boil over. On the opening tune of the fourth movement: "The simplicity of the main tune is of a kind not cared for greatly by those intelligentsia who, in these times of desperate circumspection, cannot see how a man can express deep feelings without being psychologically in need of attention."   And there's more!!!! I'd assumed the book was written in the 50s/60s but it says 1986. Suspect he got annoyed at Minimalism too. 

Image result for british music for flute oboe & piano compact discs

Martha Argerich and Friends: Live from the Lugano Festival 2009 – Chamber Music - CD 2 (EMI Classics)

Béla Bartók – Sonata for Violin and Piano No.2 Sz 76
— Renaud Capuçon (violin), Khatia Buniatishvili (piano)
Franz Liszt – Reminiscences of Mozart's "Don Juan" for 2 Pianos S.656
— Mauricio Vallina (piano), Martha Argerich (piano)
Mikhail Glinka – Sextet for Piano and Strings in E flat major
— Mark Drobinsky (cello), Géza Hosszu-Legocky (violin), Polina Leschenko (piano), Alissa Margulis (violin), Lida Chen (viola), Enrico Fagone (double bass)
Sergei Rachmaninov – 2 Pieces for Piano 6 Hands: Romance & Waltz
— Anton Gerzenberg (piano), Daniel Gerzenberg (piano), Lilya Zilberstein (piano)
Sergei Rachmaninov – Russian Rhapsody for 2 Pianos in E minor
— Alexander Mogilevsky (piano), Lilya Zilberstein (piano)

51j4lgAj6GL.jpg

Image result for tchaikovsky: symphonies 1-6; manfred

No. 5 and The Tempest. Guess what I'll be listening to later! 

Image result for david matthews - matthews: complete string quartets: vol. 3

Says on the notes that the scherzo of No. 2 was partly inspired by The Who and the Velvet Underground. You can tell by the picture on the cover that he war a right lad in't 60s.

Image result for ute lemper ute lemper sings kurt weill vol 2

First heard the Weill songs in the old (sorry, classic!) Lotte Lenya recordings - hard to get beyond Lenya's voice but I think Lemper gets the feel just right. And there are lots of songs across the two volumes I've not heard on the Lenya LPs I have. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

71dJO0MuhoL._SL1000_.jpg

Released by the New Voice Singles label, which has the interesting concept of releasing new works as a single disc, with no other material included. This provides not only a lower price point, but the rather nifty ability to listen to a work in its entirety without it being preceded or followed by another work, which is a first world problem indeed, but still, nice. This work runs just a tad over 25 minutes, so it would have been two sides of an LP.

It's a good piece, a 9/11 thing, and played very well. I'm finding value in at least a few consecutive replays.

Those who have expressed concern about "precious" performances of Mozart Piano Concertos need not worry about this one. Moravec, as well as The Czech Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Josef Vlach, show passion, intensity and a firm hand with the keyboard and baton. This , in my view, an outstanding recording of Piano Concerto No.25, K.503.

61tr7mYl4GL._SS500.jpg

Hector Berlioz 
– Grande Ouverture de Benvenuto Cellini Op.23
– Les Troyens à Carthage: Prélude
– Symphonie fantastique Op.14
Vincent d'Indy 
– Istar - Symphonic Variations Op.42
San Francisco Symphony Orchestra – Pierre Monteux (RCA Victor / Sony Classical)

762.jpg  A10301A0003232465U.jpg

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Those who have expressed concern about "precious" performances of Mozart Piano Concertos need not worry about this one. Moravec, as well as The Czech Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Josef Vlach, show passion, intensity and a firm hand with the keyboard and baton. This , in my view, an outstanding recording of Piano Concerto No.25, K.503.

61tr7mYl4GL._SS500.jpg

Ivan Moravec plays superbly ....

Now playing, CD 41 from the Symphony Edition:
Carl Nielsen 
– Symphony No.2 Op.16 "The Four Temperaments"
– Symphony No.4 Op.29 "The Inextinguishable"
New York Philharmonic – Leonard Bernstein (Sony Classics)

0000215170.jpg   41.jpg

The four temperaments are choleric, phlegmatic, melancholic, and sanguine.  I'll avoid a temptation to state which temperament I think fits which Presidential candidate. ;)

Edited by alankin

16 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Terrific and I am now waiting for the delivery of the Weissenberg box of RCA recordings. 

I was amazed  to discover the Morton Gould RCA box. I know and admire much of this set. It was in my mail today when I returned from Canada. 

81lLBjPnO9L._SL1500_.jpg

Very interesting, thanks for pointing this out!