What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

Seems to be rather new .... looks interesting ....

[Suzuki KdF]

New release that got significant praise and I enjoy . I auditioned the whole thing on Youtube, liked approach and sound quality so ordered. But I haven't heard many KdF recordings, or Bach harpsichord recordings in general, so can't meaningfully rate it vs. the many alternatives.

Edited by T.D.

11 minutes ago, T.D. said:

[Suzuki KdF]

New release that got significant praise and I enjoy . I auditioned the whole thing on Youtube, liked approach and sound quality so ordered. But I haven't heard many KdF recordings, or Bach harpsichord recordings in general, so can't meaningfully rate it vs. the many alternatives.

Thnx for your feedback/impressions ....

Next up:

NTYtMTMwNS5qcGVn.jpeg

Christoph Willibald Gluck: Orphée (et Eurydice)  / Louis de Froment, Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire, Nicolai Gedda, Janine Micheau, Liliane Berton (La Voix de Son Maître, FR)

Recorded in Aix-en-Provence in 1955

Now on my turntable:

Ny00ODk5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Sergei Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky (Cantata based on Music for the Eisenstein Film), Op. 78 / André Previn, LSO & Chorus, Anna Reynolds (Angel, 1972)

EDIT
After listening to this Alexander Nevsky and being impressed, I've been doing some digging on Discogs.  Turns out that Previn recorded a lot of Prokofiev during his eleven-year run as the principal conductor of the LSO:

- The Piano Concertos - with Ashkenazy
- The Violin Concertos - with Kyung-Wha Chung
- Symphony No. 1 "Classical"
- Symphony No. 5
- Symphony No. 6
- Symphony No. 7
- Cinderella (complete ballet)
- Romeo & Juliet (complete ballet)
- Peter & the Wolf - with Mia Farrow
- Alexander Nevsky (cantata)
- Lieutenant Kijé (suite)

I had no idea that Previn had made so many Prokofiev recordings!  (Perhaps because many of them are no longer available?)  Along with his Nevsky, I only know Previn's Romeo & Juliet and his piano concertos with Ashkenazy.

I'm now streaming Previn's recording of Prokofiev's Fifth Sym.  It's startlingly good.  . . . I'm going to need to dive into this stuff more deeply.  Seems like Previn had a very convincing handle on Sergei Prokofiev!

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

.... Previn's recording of Prokofiev's Fifth Sym.  It's startlingly good.  . . . I'm going to need to dive into this stuff more deeply.  Seems like Previn had a very convincing handle on Sergei Prokofiev!

If you appreciate Previn and Prokofiev go for the two Violin Concertos with Kyung Wha Chung ....

28 minutes ago, soulpope said:

If you appreciate Previn and Prokofiev go for the two Violin Concertos with Kyung Wha Chung ....

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll investigate.  :tup

Continuing the theme with:

71+WR-aLNgL._SX595_.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

Absolutely fantastic recording! It reinforces my opinion that Mozart is best heard on period instruments, because on modern painos all those wonderful colors are lost: What a pity that the label is defunct and the CD has become so hard to find - I had to buy it from a Californian seller.

MTItNDk4MS5qcGVn.jpegMTMtNjQwNC5qcGVn.jpeg