Album of the month revival?

mikeweil

At the start a nomination was made by the previous participant.   Later when there were numerous members wishing to take part in AOTW that system no longer worked satisfactorily. I took over the scheduling to maintain some sort of order,  members would pm me and I would allocate a date in the order requests were received.  Often there would be five or six members wanting to take part at any given time.  This seemed to work well until it finally fizzled out.  I also maintained the master list after couw could no longer do it..

I can't see it being that popular again but I enjoyed the  posts and comments and I would be very happy to see it restart.  I'd suggest to get it going again Mike lists something and we'll see how it goes..

I was a frequent nominator in the period it ground to a halt, so may have been somewhat to blame for its demise, but not many other people were volunteering to nominate at the time.  The album that finally killed the experience for me was John Handy - Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival.  There should have been meaningful conversation and perhaps healthy disagreement about the place of that album in the jazz pantheon.  Instead, there was just a couple of snarky comments and then silence, and I had to say why am I spending 30 minutes of my life trying to come up with a meaningful presentation of an important album if no one here gives a rip.  I don't see value in the discussion being along the lines of "Is Jackie McLean's Capuchin Swing a really really really good album or just a really really good album".  I tried to generate fruitful discussion on some albums I felt there could be multiple valid viewpoints, such as Gary Bartz's "I've Known Rivers", Leon Thomas's "Live in Berlin", Gato Barbieri's "El Pampero", and the 1970 Atlantic Joe Zawinul album.  But people didn't seem particularly interested.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.8.2016 at 4:50 PM, felser said:

I was a frequent nominator in the period it ground to a halt, so may have been somewhat to blame for its demise, but not many other people were volunteering to nominate at the time.  The album that finally killed the experience for me was John Handy - Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival.  There should have been meaningful conversation and perhaps healthy disagreement about the place of that album in the jazz pantheon.  Instead, there was just a couple of snarky comments and then silence .....

Would love to see this platter being re-evaluated as "Album Of The Month" anytime soon ....

Edited by soulpope

On 8/13/2016 at 2:56 AM, JohnS said:

At the start a nomination was made by the previous participant.   Later when there were numerous members wishing to take part in AOTW that system no longer worked satisfactorily. I took over the scheduling to maintain some sort of order,  members would pm me and I would allocate a date in the order requests were received.  Often there would be five or six members wanting to take part at any given time.  This seemed to work well until it finally fizzled out.  I also maintained the master list after couw could no longer do it..

I can't see it being that popular again but I enjoyed the  posts and comments and I would be very happy to see it restart.  I'd suggest to get it going again Mike lists something and we'll see how it goes..

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Would love to see this platter being re-evaluated as "Album Of The Month" anytime soon ....

Mike, go ahead with your album for week 1, I'll relist the Handy for week 2, and we can see what happens.  Saturdays used to be the start of the week,and Saturday/Sunday probably works best for most of us.

Possibly part of the problem is that some people sometimes gave general positive or negative opinions with no reasons behind their opinions. An opinion - may not be worth much unless there are reasons to back it up.

Looking back through the previous album of the week choices, I was surprised - (1) that it went on for such a long time - four years - and (2) - that I had forgotten there were so many interesting choices. I didn't participate nearly as often as I should have, but I intend to make amends for that if Album of the Week is resuscitated. I can't say that I will have something to add for every album - not everything is to my taste - but if an album is one I'm familiar with and that interests me, I'll try to be there. 

Let's roll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...