Black & Blue Label Recommendations

Dan Gould

Thru an eBay purchase I've found an online dealer who is offering what seems to be pretty much the whole Black & Blue label catalog stretching all the way back to old, "pre" "Definitive Series" CDs, new, for $10 a piece.

While I have quite a bit of the catalog I am looking for recommendations for any B&B recordings that members have enjoyed. The seller is an inactive member here and you can get his list at tommysjazz@gmail.com, if you're interested.

As always, thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

Guess it's not much help to say that every record I've ever heard on that label totally kicks some kind of ass.

True. What's tricky in the context of this $10 offer is how the original releases compare to the "Definitive" issues plus there's the fact that Evidence licensed a lot of these (at least on the blues side) back in the 90s.

I've noticed at Da Bastards that they have a bunch of Definitive reissues listed as 'delayed' so this seems to be a chance to get some great recordings that may or may not show up elsewhere. And at an awfully good price too.

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

Guess it's not much help to say that every record I've ever heard on that label totally kicks some kind of ass.

No, but it's true. I just looked at who I've GOT on B&B:

Al Grey

Arnett Cobb

Bill Doggett

Budd Johnson

Buddy Tate

Candy Johnson

Earl Hines

Eddie Chamblee

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis

Floyd Smith

Hal Singer

Harold Ashby

Harry Edison

Illinois Jacquet

Lionl Hampton

Lonnie Smiff

Louis Jordan

Milt Buckner

Ray Bryant

Slam Stewart

Sonny Stiff

T-Bone Walker

Tiny Grimes

Wild Bill Davis

WILLIS JACKSON!!!!!

I have a strong tendency to buy any B&B albums I find in Paris Jazz Corner without doing anything more than working out if I already have all the tracks. No thought needed as to whether I'm going to like them.

MG

3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Similar reaction, if you see one you don't have, buy it because it will be good.

Nevertheless, since I can't get everything I've decided to pass on the Chris Woods release, based on the fact that he recorded "Alone Again (Naturally)" on the date.

Didn't we have a puke smilie at one time?

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

But that's a good song...A good hit record, not so much, but as a song...

Only if someone improvised in such a way that the treacly melody was never played, maybe turn it into a party song while you're at it?  Even then, uh, no.

Not for me. Not ever.

The vocal was treacly, and immensely s.  The melody itself is one of those things that leaves room for nuance.And the changes move in such a way that melodic arcs are pretty much built into iy.

I would be willing to give a player like Chris Woods a chance with it.

It was Dewey Redman's version that made me notice these thongs.

Going back to the topic of Black & Blue releases, can anyone shed light on the Chicago Blues Festival releases? There seem to be five in the series but info is scarce online. The major question I have is whether this was an early attempt to reconfigure existing music into new packaging or are these legit live recordings, possibly not available since?

On 5.10.2016 at 1:39 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

No, but it's true. I just looked at who I've GOT on B&B:

Al Grey

Arnett Cobb

Bill Doggett

Budd Johnson

Buddy Tate

Candy Johnson

Earl Hines

Eddie Chamblee

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis

Floyd Smith

Hal Singer

Harold Ashby

Harry Edison

Illinois Jacquet

Lionl Hampton

Lonnie Smiff

Louis Jordan

Milt Buckner

Ray Bryant

Slam Stewart

Sonny Stiff

T-Bone Walker

Tiny Grimes

Wild Bill Davis

WILLIS JACKSON!!!!!

I have a strong tendency to buy any B&B albums I find in Paris Jazz Corner without doing anything more than working out if I already have all the tracks. No thought needed as to whether I'm going to like them.

MG

27099098xr.jpg

27099097wf.jpg

THE BLACK AND BLUE JAZZ HISTORY. BLACK AND BLUE 950 500 [1985]

Aside from many Black & Blue recordings already mentioned, the following CDs on that label are in my collection.

Guy Lafitte - Joue Charles Trenet

Guy Lafitte - The Things We Did Last Summer

John Lewis / Christian Escoude - Mirjana

Jimmy Raney - Here's That Raney Day

Jimmy Rowles Trio - Shade and Light

Charlie Shavers / Budd Johnson - Live

Rene Urtreger Trio - Move

Gerry Wiggins - Wig Is Here

Bob Wilber / Dany Doriz Quintet - memories of You: Lionel and Benny