Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ODUtNjkxOS5qcGVn.jpeg

This was part of my recent Princeton Record Exchange haul, in which I paid $2 for every album (along with 6/7 discs of a Trane box for $10).  I was pretty selective and could/should have bought more, but  they are all winners.  Bickert was well represented between this and two Rob McConnell albums.

32 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Superb rhythm section ....

indeed ! 

10 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I'm not a Michel Petrucciani fan, but this is a stellar Piano Trio platter ....

Same here. I bought the DVD-documentary since my wife was interested in seeing his live, but she also stated without any statement from me "not your kind of music or piano style". 

20 hours ago, BillF said:

ab67616d0000b27325c67453fa9d0f2cd9eb8a89

Are they doing a fast version of Conception in Db ? 
I love that tune. Early this year a Spanish trumpet player was visiting Viena and sat in in the second set and called "Conception" and counted it of in a quite fast tempo. I was delighted to do it with him. First I was afraid of him because he had such a mad look and very strange stage behaviour, he was loaded with some harmful stuff and that scared me, but the playing was tops and he loved what I did too. 

This spring I had a very interesting discussion with Mr. Peter Pullman about the tune "Conception". He is sure that it was not George Shearing who composed it, but Bud Powell. Bud loved that tune too, and Mr. Pullman says that Al McKibbon who was working with him or/and Shearing at Birdland had told him that. He said that Shearing had stolen the idea from Bud. I can´t confirm it, but it´s so fitting for Bop musicians with those fine changes and you got some knowledge about improvising to master it. 

OC0zOTQ5LmpwZWc.jpeg

I bought this last week, the day after seeing another Memphis great, George Coleman.  I remember seeing Harold Mabern and him telling a young pianist to check out Newborn.  This is only my second Newborn-led date and I have just one of his sideman albums, a great Howard McGhee session.  I have some catching up to do, as I'm really enjoying this one.