• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night I listened to this one. 

Well, I     l o v e  it . 

First I was reluctant to spin it since    I h a d  heard and seen Dexter exactly the same period, early 1983, actually the last time I saw him live and it was almost a desaster , so weak it was. 

It´s astonishing that in an interval of maybe 2 or 3 days Dexter sounded so splendid in Copenhaga, Danemarca. 

He´s just in top form and the band is superb. 

It makes you understand why so many Americans in Europe after some nice and healthy years in fancy European towns had to leave Europe since they missed that competition and the power of N.Y. rhythm sections. 

Dexter was always great in the 60´s and early 70´s and had great pianists like Tete Montoliu or Kenny Drew, but bassists and drummer just were not up to what you hear in N.Y. for example.

Young Dave Eubanks is fantastic, listen how he pushes the thing on "Hanky Pranky", a tune I never had heard before, it´s pure Messenger´s sound. 

And some of the best "More than you know" I ever heard. In Vienna, it was really weak, it was painful to listen to and to look at Dex there. 

I think it was similar to other booze or drug addicted musicians in their last years, there performances were not persistent, you might catch a night were it was a stellar performance, and then on other nights you might leave with embarrassement and disapointment.....

Download (1).jpg

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Sounds like a dream team. Though I have some VSOP records, I mean with Hubbard and Shorter, I didn´t know about this one. 

I think you'd enjoy it, Gheorghe.  It's an excellent record.  

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

His finest hour on Columbia ....

Agreed!  :tup 

Last night:

Ny02NDk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Now:

NTEtNDI1Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Both albums made at the same October 19-20, 1972 sessions in Chicago.

3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Mike Reed, The Separatist Partyimage.jpeg.1dbb97b2cf7b3c8889976e0b3194b0df.jpeg

How is that?

I saw them perform music from that. It was a very powerful gig, hope the album is good too. It will be a post Xmas purchase for me I think

Anything that Reed's involved in is worthy of attention I find 

Edited by mjazzg

12 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How is that?

I saw them perform music from that. It was a very powerful gig, hope the album is good too. It will be a post Xmas purchase for me I think

Anything that Reed's involved in is worthy of attention I find 

I heard Mike Reed at the Big Ears Festival with Nichole Mitchell and Tomeka Reid, an excellent group.

On first listen, I found the instrumental tracks on the recording to be compelling (5 of the 9 tracks),

The other four tracks feature Marvin Tate on "vocals" which is more like narration. These tracks are probably one listen tracks, for me anyway.

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

MzItNTMyMC5qcGVn.jpeg

The Super Jazz Trio - The Standard (Baystate, rec. 1980); reissued on Sony Japan
with Tommy Flanagan (p), Reggie Workman (b), and Joe Chambers (d)

A terrific album.

Yes .... a true Reggie Workman master class .... btw "seal of approval" also applies to .... :

Screenshot-2023-12-08-190237.jpg

7 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Yes .... a true Reggie Workman master class .... btw "seal of approval" also applies to .... 

Yep!  :tup 

I've also enjoyed this one:

OC02MDY3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Of course, Farmer's presence changes the dynamic of the trio -- but it's still a lovely album. 

19 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yep!  :tup 

I've also enjoyed this one:

OC02MDY3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Of course, Farmer's presence changes the dynamic of the trio -- but it's still a lovely album. 

Agreed .... unbelievable, how Workman/Chambers take off in the Trio setting .....

Edited by soulpope