So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

22 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

811bmJ5IRKL._SS500_.jpg

R.I.P.  Chick Corea

There was that great period in the early to mid 1980s when Chick was churning out lots of releases for ECM. ‘Trio Music’, ‘Voyage’ and the ‘Children’s Songs’. I bought many of them and though they often got a bit New Agey, I enjoyed them.

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was disappointed in the charts, seemed to have a bit of a sameness to them. Mulligan developed way past this, I think. Even when he breaks up the lines a little bit, there's not variety in the instrumentation. I guess he conducted this date, so, hey, if that's what he wanted....my hopes were for more/different/better than this. Oh well.

All the soloists seem to be "connecting the dots", like good studio players should (I guess). Put me in mind of a pinball game, the ball rolls to one cadence/bumper, bounces of on to the next one, gotta flip it up every so often. And Jimmy Cleveland...oh my god, this is the first time I've heard him be as annoying as a lot of other people often found him to be...I thought it was Frank Rosolino until I looked at the notes, just...manic.

The big drag for me, though, was the charts. Evans writing for Thornhill this ain't.

R-8045216-1497587866-8504.jpeg.jpg

Wasn't sure what to expect, and still not sure what I really got, but it was a mostly satisfying listen, although there were a few spots when it sounded like French cafe music, which is not something that I really enjoy, except no, it wasn't, it was just John Lewis playing Bach with some weird rhythm section thing going on. But that was only in a few places, and since it wasn't actually French cafe music (no accordion!), I just dealt with it.

Overall, mostly satisfying. John Lewis had this stealth thing going on that you disregard at your own peril.