Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-8537773-1463600755-2366.jpeg.jpg

First time hitting these guys at any real length,,,holy shit! Swing doesn't really do it justice...DRIVE is more like it. Juices pumping w/no blockage.

Is this one of those Keepnews things that got Nonoised-ed to death, and if so, where can it be heard in a more lively presentation?

and Chuck's past mention of Prince Robinson come to mind on the early tracks....yeah.

42 minutes ago, JSngry said:

First time hitting these guys at any real length,,,holy shit! Swing doesn't really do it justice...DRIVE is more like it. Juices pumping w/no blockage.

Is this one of those Keepnews things that got Nonoised-ed to death, and if so, where can it be heard in a more lively presentation?

and Chuck's past mention of Prince Robinson come to mind on the early tracks....yeah.

Can't speak to the best sounding CD versions of this, because all my recordings of the band are on LP, but do want to acknowledge (a) the band was based in Detroit in these years and (b)  the insanely high-level of execution and John Nesbitt's creative arrangements -- I mean, the rhythmic displacements & accents  starting at 1:55 in "Stop Kidding" are remarkable, suggesting a superimposed 5/4 and 3/4 over a basic 4/4 pulse. Crazy for 1928, Schuller has a transcription in "The Swing Era." 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Don't know about sonic comparisons but I have them all on 3 Chronological Classics discs. The Frog editions probably are better.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

R-1805811-1458285172-6040.jpeg.jpg

Chico Hamilton - Reunion (Soul Note, 1990)
with Buddy Collette (as, cl, fl); John Pisano (g); Fred Katz (vc); Carson Smith (b)

Question: Has anyone ever heard Manfred Eicher talk about Chico Hamilton -- as an influence on his approach to jazz producing (like the Giuffre/Bley/Swallow trio did)?  Especially thinking about Hamilton's early stuff, it seems like Chico's music would have been right in line with what Eicher later emphasized at ECM -- with his focus new or unique timbres, unusual ensemble configurations, and an "unorthodox" approach to jazz in general.  That's Chico, right there. 

I was just poking around on discogs, and it looks like Hamilton never recorded for ECM.  Not once, even as a sideman.  I'm sorta surprised by that.  Not completely surprised.  But some.

Any thoughts?

Chico on ECM? HA! There's a whole....cultural disconnect :g that would have prevented that...don't let the Charles Lloyd thing fool you, Chico was not going to be anybody but Chico, for anybody. And Chico brought some bling with him everywhere he went, overt bling. He had a jingle business going, made records like he wanted to make them. Even the earlier stuff...a lot more extroverted than the Giuffre groups were.

But do check out Chico's solo album, and his duet album with Andrew Hill, those about as close to come as there is to what could have been ECM records. But they're not, thankfully.

I love Chico, and do hear his influence in a lot of more recent drummers. His detail with kit tuning, brush technique, cymbal textures, mallet(!) technique...cat had a whole lot going on just in terms of drum sound. He wasn't the only one, Roy & Max from the same ear come to mind, but Chico had his own thing. I think younger people noticed, I really don't see how the couldn't. But maybe they didn't.

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Chico on ECM? HA! There's a whole....cultural disconnect :g that would have prevented that...don't let the Charles Lloyd thing fool you, Chico was not going to be anybody but Chico, for anybody. And Chico brought some bling with him everywhere he went, overt bling. He had a jingle business going, made records like he wanted to make them. Even the earlier stuff...a lot more extroverted than the Giuffre groups were.

But do check out Chico's solo album, and his duet album with Andrew Hill, those about as close to come as there is to what could have been ECM records. But they're not, thankfully.

I love Chico, and do hear his influence in a lot of more recent drummers. His detail with kit tuning, brush technique, cymbal textures, mallet(!) technique...cat had a whole lot going on just in terms of drum sound. He wasn't the only one, Roy & Max from the same ear come to mind, but Chico had his own thing. I think younger people noticed, I really don't see how the couldn't. But maybe they didn't.

LOL! Realizing that Charles Lloyd ALWAYS brought bling with him as well, still does. But it's a different genre of bling.

15 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Sure makes the system sweat a bit!

What kind of a towel do you use to clean that up?

Released just over 51 years ago. Makes me feel old remembering how young I was when I first encountered this release and what it has meant on my musical journey all these years.

Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" disc 2
Sony quad/stereo SACD release

s-l640.jpg

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Of course, Chico is never austere like so much music on ECM.  I get that.

I'm not even saying that it would have been good if Chico had recorded for Eicher.  I was just thinking out loud about influences, tossing the idea out there.  

Wasn't aware of that Hamilton had made a duo record with Hill.  Will definitely look into that.

NP:

R-11547537-1518285231-3653.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Of course, Chico is never austere like so much music on ECM.  I get that.

I'm not even saying that it would have been good if Chico had recorded for Eicher.  I was just thinking out loud about influences, tossing the idea out there.  

Wasn't aware of that Hamilton had made a duo record with Hill.  Will definitely look into that.

Jim Hall making an ECM record, otoh...maybe?

The duet album is called Dreams Come True. It was released on Chico's own label, part of a "spree" of releases he did in the late 200xs. Some were better than others, but you know chico...there's always something there, even if it's just the sound of his kit.

https://www.discogs.com/label/101807-Joyous-Shout-!

Copies are still around, but it's one of those things where if you really want to get it, probably better to get it now rather than later, if you know what I mean.

R-4717461-1373242933-7322.jpeg.jpg

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

The duet album is called Dreams Come True. It was released on Chico's own label, part of a "spree" of releases he did in the late 200xs. Some were better than others, but you know chico...there's always something there, even if it's just the sound of his kit.

https://www.discogs.com/label/101807-Joyous-Shout-!

Copies are still around, but it's one of those things where if you really want to get it, probably better to get it now rather than later, if you know what I mean.

R-4717461-1373242933-7322.jpeg.jpg

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  :tup