Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

I witnessed most of an interview she did last year at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival at their small indoor interview stage. She was playing solo violin when I walked in. She was quite interesting to listen to (also very beautiful in person). She played two solo banjo pieces composed in the 1850s by a black composer (unfortunately I didn't catch the composer's name); the pieces and the performance were terrific. I didn't see her  performance  in the Blues Tent but heard and read a few raves about it.    

I bet that was exciting. She's really something. I first encountered her on the "Lost on the River: the New Basement Tapes" material and have been a fan of hers ever since. She's an amazing woman.

48 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I bet that was exciting. She's really something. I first encountered her on the "Lost on the River: the New Basement Tapes" material and have been a fan of hers ever since. She's an amazing woman.

I would have gone to her concert but it was at the same time as Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter. 

5 hours ago, BillF said:

71QJPqlSDlL._SX355_.jpg

:tup!  I took a chance on buying this disc last year without knowing anything about it.  I was quite pleased by  Mr. Murphy's performance, by the quality of the group backing him and by the audio quality

Recent listening:

600x600.jpg

One of her last recordings, this disc found her revisiting standards, but in a smaller musical setting than those used her albums with Nelson Riddle.  Here, Alan Broadbent supplied the arrangements, and on some tracks the piano accompaniment as well.  She does tend to "oversell" some of the songs, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

MI0000405266.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I borrowed it from the library.  Glad I didn't spend any money on it.

R-6293446-1415759559-7945.jpeg.jpg

Ella20Broadway20rr20cvr-fde0b.JPG

Ella was in fine voice here and the arrangements by Marty Paich are good, but the material itself is not always the best.  "Dites-Moi" is certainly not the most interesting selection from South Pacific and "Steam Heat" isn't even much of a song (it's a dance production number).  She does seem to have had fun with "Whatever Lola Wants".