• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heikki Sarmanto Serious Music Ensemble – The Helsinki Tapes — Live at N-Club 1971-72, Vol. 3 (Svart Records)
— Heikki Sarmanto (Fender Rhodes electric piano), Lance Gunderson (electric guitar), Pekka Sarmanto (double bass), Craig Herndon (drums) + Eero Koivistoinen (tenor, soprano sax)

MI0004191485.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Leroy Jenkins featuring Muhal Richard Abrams – Lifelong Ambitions [from The Complete Muhal Richard Abrams Black Saint Recordings, Vol.2 box] (Black Saint—CAM Jazz)
— Muhal Richard Abrams (piano), Leroy Jenkins (violin); recorded live in Washington Square Church, NYC

71qGTreaEkL._SX522_.jpg  MI0004173691.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Ken Vandermark / Augusti Fernandez – Interacting Fields [CD1 in the Nine Ways to Read a Bridge box] (Not Two Records / Discordian Records)
— With Augusti Fernandez (piano & prepared piano), Ken Vandermark (reeds); duo; recorded live in concert at Jamboree, Barcelona in 2013.

71wE6WchGyL._SX450_.jpg  Ken+Vandermark+++Agust%C3%AD+Fern%C3%A1n

604988031621-500x500.jpg

Disc 3 of 4, which has various WWII era V-Disc recordings from the likes of Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Hoagy Carmichael, Red Norvo, Lionel Hampton, Harry James, Louis Prima, etc.

(I just noticed the trumpet section for the Benny Goodman V-Disc All Stars recording from July 31, 1944 included Roy Eldridge, Yank Lawson and Mickey McMickle.  Is that a real name or a pseudonym?)

Edited by duaneiac

0000000000552.jpg

I figured his "Yardbird Suite" would be an appropriate way to honor Charlie Parker's birthday.

R-8003792-1453299808-5174.jpeg.jpg

R-8003792-1453301424-8311.jpeg.jpg

I love the thrill you get when browsing through a used record/CD store and you come across an interesting & desirable item you never knew even existed.  That was the case when I came across this apparently privately released disc this past weekend.  This CD collects tracks from the Del Rubio Triplets two albums Whip It! and Three Gals, Three Guitars (which I already had on vinyl).  Just great stuff, although I guess it might be classified as "camp' by some.  Their versions of "Whip It!", "I Will Survive", "Chain of Fools" and "Like a Virgin" are terrific.  I'm glad I do have my vinyl album because their versions of "Hey Jude", "Fever" and "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" from that album aren't included here.

max1471614636-front-cover.jpg

bob-dylan-with-tom-petty-and-the-heartbr

Disc 1 of 2.

Edited by duaneiac

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.  He was a man ahead of his time.  If he were around today, he could perhaps be leading the band on the good ship "Boaty McBoatface".

Now playing:

MI0002452086.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

A little Bobby McFerrin goes a long way with me, so the fact that he is already on more than one track is way too much.  Apparently this was taped as a TV program back around 1987 when Bobby McFerrin was a big name even among non-jazz fans, so his presence was probably deemed necessary to grab a bigger viewing audience.  The rhythm section was Lou Levy, Monty Budwig and John Guerin.

Edited by duaneiac