So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

81BQ0E4ou9L._SL1416_.jpg91FAXXdAqnL._SL1500_.jpg

While I'm aware that this release contains recordings made without Mrs. Simone's konowledge or consent, their availabilty now seems a blessing for all of us who never had achance to see her perform, especially during her earlier career, of which this disc gives a good impression.

• Replies 79.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, alankin said:

The Sound of Jazz (Columbia Jazz Masterpieces)
— With Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Count Basie, Roy Eldridge, Jimmy Giuffre, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Mal Waldron, Henry "Red" Allen, Rex Stewart, Pee Wee Russell, Vic Dickenson, Doc Cheatham. Jimmy Rushing, Dickie Wells, Joe Newman, Harry Carney, Emmett Berry, Jo Jones, a.o.

813w7tO4YjL._SX522_.jpg

Great stuff!

813w7tO4YjL._SL1500_.jpg

Your post got me to take it off the shelf and listen. Great stuff! indeed.

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

Masterful Art Pepper performance - on par with this master`s interpretation :

R-8786326-1468750276-9275.jpeg.jpg

^ Yes, that's an excellent Art Farmer release.

Now playing:
Ira Sullivan and the Chicago Jazz Quintet – Bird Lives! – CD 1 (Koch Jazz / Vee-Jay)
— With Ira Sullivan (trumpet & flugelhorn), Nick Hill (tenor sax), Jodie Christian (piano), Don Garrett (bass), Dorel Anderson or Wilbur Campbell (drums); recorded at the Charlie Parker Memorial Concert in Chicago at the Bird House, 1962

MI0002040680.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

2 hours ago, alankin said:

Now playing:
Ira Sullivan and the Chicago Jazz Quintet – Bird Lives! – CD 1 (Koch Jazz / Vee-Jay)
— With Ira Sullivan (trumpet & flugelhorn), Nick Hill (tenor sax), Jodie Christian (piano), Don Garrett (bass), Dorel Anderson or Wilbur Campbell (drums); recorded at the Charlie Parker Memorial Concert in Chicago at the Bird House, 1962

MI0002040680.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Good stuff  :tup

The Sound of Jazz

Elvin Jones – Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume One (Landmark)
— Elvin Jones – drums; Frank Foster, Pat LaBarbera – tenor saxophone; Fumio Karashima – piano; Chip Jackson – bass

MI0001783117.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

The set includes a performance of the first two movements of Coltrane's A Live Supreme.

81XseCNzqyL._SL1338_.jpg

81A%2BTdVYN8L._SL1500_.jpg

Easily this week's best $1.95 find.  A fine compilation of Goffin & King songs which includes some songs I'd never heard of such as "Let's Turkey Trot" by Jan & Dean (thanks, but no thanks, boys), some songs I did not know were G & K songs (like the BS&T selection) and some songs done by some one other than the expected artists (such as the Laura Nyro and Peggy Lee selections).  "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" is such a great song and "Just Once In My Life" is a good song and a terrific record.

Edited by duaneiac