2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

Extended cut of Judge's mammoth home run today:

Over the bleachers

I also loved Didi's binoculars gesture (he's another player who's injecting a lot of fun into this year's team) and especially the way Judge put his head down and started running as soon as he hit it, instead of standing there or strolling while admiring his blast, a la Bryce Harper and so many others these days. (Also hoping that Judge's emergence makes it less likely that NY throws some mega contract Harper's way come winter 2018.)

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, paul secor said:

Actually, the long HRs are fun to see, but his BA, OBA, and slugging % impress me more.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/

Unbelievable ....

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Over the bleachers

I also loved Didi's binoculars gesture (he's another player who's injecting a lot of fun into this year's team) and especially the way Judge put his head down and started running as soon as he hit it, instead of standing there or strolling while admiring his blast, a la Bryce Harper and so many others these days. (Also hoping that Judge's emergence makes it less likely that NY throws some mega contract Harper's way come winter 2018.)

:D ....

17 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Over the bleachers

ESPN reading my (and no doubt others') mind:

With Judge starring, maybe Yankees won't need Bryce Harper after all

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

Aaron Judge did it again .... no 22 and counting ....

I'm starting to think (assuming he stays healthy) that he's got a decent shot at breaking Mark McGwire's rookie HR record (which would also make him the first rookie ever to hit 50 HR in a season). I was up till 1:45 last night watching the game...West Coast road trips are hard to stay awake for, but definitely worth it last night. Also good to see Tanaka finally get in a solid outing.

I need to make a trip to Yankee Stadium, something I've never done during my visits to the city. Evenings are reserved for jazz or Broadway (if my wife is with me, I could care less about attending a play in most cases). I hope Judge continues with his success, he's exciting to watch and doesn't seem to be an egomaniac.

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I'm starting to think (assuming he stays healthy) that he's got a decent shot at breaking Mark McGwire's rookie HR record (which would also make him the first rookie ever to hit 50 HR in a season). I was up till 1:45 last night watching the game...West Coast road trips are hard to stay awake for, but definitely worth it last night. Also good to see Tanaka finally get in a solid outing.

I just came back from early morning gardening work in time to see his two run blast :D ....

True, this:

All Should Rise For Gary Sanchez, Too

I like the suggested Mantle-Maris potential.  :)  Also not to be overlooked are the stellar seasons that Gregorius, Castro, and Hicks are having so far.  (Gregorius at .344 after last night's game!)  I'm contemplating making a road trip to see them play this summer either in Cleveland or Chicago (gawd, I have to say that "Guaranteed Rate Field" is the worst name I've heard yet in the modern era of corporate-branded ballparks.  Still Comiskey to me.)

Yankees having an abysmal West Coast road trip, and most of the blame lies with the bullpen. Hopefully Chapman returns in regular form starting tomorrow... I think NY would have won last night if they'd been able to go to Betances in the 8th instead of having to keep him on tap for a potential 9th. In the meantime, Boston's now only one game behind. 

2 hours ago, paul secor said:

The way the Yanks have been going, I wish they'd get rained out today.

The starters have been struggling out west as well, and one who did pitch fairly decently is now on the DL.  (CC)  Not to mention Sanchez and Hicks being knocked out of the lineup for a bit with injuries.  On a brighter note, Gleyber Torres is scorching the ball at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and Chance Adams may be seeing the light of MLB day sooner than we'd expect.

Edited by ghost of miles

Pete Flynn, Mets Groundskeeper for Almost 50 Years, Dies at 79

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/22/sports/baseball/obituary-pete-flynn-dead-mets-groundskeeper.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fobituaries&action=click&contentCollection=obituaries&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=8&pgtype=sectionfront

23FLYNN-obit-01-master768.jpg

Pete Flynn was a New York Met longer than Ed Kranepool, Keith Hernandez and Bud Harrelson combined. He stayed with the team as it went from National League punch line to World Series champion, and as it moved from the Polo Grounds to Shea Stadium and then to Citi Field.

Mr. Flynn did more than maintain a fairway-trim field in the middle of Queens; he also welcomed visiting dignitaries and celebrities. After the Beatles played their historic Shea Stadium show in 1965, he drove John, Paul, George and Ringo from center stage to the center-field fence, where an armored car waited to help them escape nearly 56,000 screaming fans.

Peter George Flynn was born on Feb. 12, 1938, in County Leitrim, Ireland. His parents, Peter Flynn and the former Mary Kate McGovern, had a farm.

Mr. Flynn immigrated to Canada in 1960 and to New York City the next year. He got a job as a handyman for the Mets and moved to groundskeeping after he told them that he had landscaping experience. His daughter said that he had known nothing about baseball before working for the team, but that he grew to love the game.

23FLYNN-obit-02-blog427.jpg

1 hour ago, Brad said:

As a bleary eyed witness to the Dodgers' destruction of the Mets this week, the Dodgers have a very good team, packed from top to bottom.  I'm not sold on their SP but their pen more than makes up for them. 

The NL West is monstrous this year--three teams over .600, and the top three records in baseball after the Astros (who pretty clearly seem like the team to beat in the American League). Reminiscent of the NL Central a couple of seasons back.

Edited by ghost of miles