Any Artie Shaw fans?

mmilovan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In documentary about this artist there was short sound clip, with Artie Shaw's Navy Band, they played "Begin The Beguine". Audio quality is poor, it was broadcast recording.

But, while searching various issues, I found this CD:

http://www.hepjazz.com/metro.html#anchorartie

Metronome series:

CD70

ARTIE SHAW

(3 CD pack)

'1944-45'

Artie Shaw and his Orchestra, the total recorded output of this edition with arrangements by Ray Conniff, George Siravo, Jimmy Mundy and Eddie Sauter. Plus four broadcast rareities

Are these broadcasts with Artie Shaw's Navy or "regular" band?

Hep 3-CD set does not contains broadcasts. These are studio recordings, mostly for RCA Victor.

hep 3-cd set h a s three broadcasts with artie shaw: 25.september 1944: lady be good and artie´s blues from jubilee show #98 and from 15 march 1945 with his gramercy five: i was doing all right and you took advantage of me from bing crosby´s kraft music hall (with the wonderful dodo marmarosa on piano - great music!!!) the rest is his rca victor and a privat session from 13/14. november 1945 issued on musicraft that concluded to an end for shaw as recording artist for rca victor because the record company claimed he had been recording for a another label in violation of his exclusive contract. shaw refuted this, claiming the sides had been cut at his own expense. a great cd-set as always on the hep label.

keep boppin´

marcel

• 4 weeks later...

info for all artie shaw fans:

the new "hep" double cd "artie shaw: the complete spotlight band 1945 broadcasts" is out now! it has the five complete unedited spotlight bands plus three tracks from a "fitch bandwagon" broadcast of nov. 7, 1945 ("s´wonderful", "night and day", "let´s walk")with his wonderful band including roy eldridge, barney kessel, ray linn, dodo marmarosa and herbie steward. in addition to the "jazz unlimited" cd from 2003 it has the following more from september 12, 1945: "if i loved you", "out of this world", "begin the beguine"(complete), "together". from september 19, 1945: "stardust", "i cover the waterfront", "just floatin´ along"(complete). from september 26, 1945: "i´m gonna love that guy", summertime", "it had to be you". from october 3, 1945: "dancing in the dark", "softly as in a morning sunrise", "out of this world". and from october 10, 1945: "i can´t get started", "grabtown grapple"(the gramercy five with the wonderful dodo marmarosa on piano [one more item in his discography!!!!]), "it might as well be spring". and although other issues both on lp and cd of the edited spotlights exist this is the only double cd that contains all the tunes.

keep boppin´

marcel

These clips are from the wonderful Brigitte Berman documentary about Shaw titled "Time is All You've Got". I videotaped this off PBS some years ago and have finally transferred it to DVD. Pity, it has yet to be issued on commercial DVD, but I believe that there had been litigation about the rights to the material initiated by Shaw some years before his death. Great, great clarinetist (actually, the greatEST imo) but someone who could be a most difficult person to deal with as evidenced by the numerous marriages and various anecdotes recounted by Gene Lees and others.

• 5 months later...

These clips are from the wonderful Brigitte Berman documentary about Shaw titled "Time is All You've Got". I videotaped this off PBS some years ago and have finally transferred it to DVD. Pity, it has yet to be issued on commercial DVD, but I believe that there had been litigation about the rights to the material initiated by Shaw some years before his death. Great, great clarinetist (actually, the greatEST imo) but someone who could be a most difficult person to deal with as evidenced by the numerous marriages and various anecdotes recounted by Gene Lees and others.

Indeed...I've heard that he eventually picked a fight with every last friend he ever had and drove them all away. Great clarinetist, though.

• 4 months later...

I have a copy of Shaw's The Last Recordings Vol. II: The Big Band, and it's my understanding that after the Shaw Big Band closed at the Click Club in December of 1949, they recorded thirty-five transcriptions, and this cd has only sixteen of those. I'm sorry if this has been answered here before but I don't think I read it, but are there cds that have all the music this last incarnation of the Shaw Big Band made?

I have a CD on a label called Dance Band Days that has more tracks from these sessions. But even the two CDs combined are very incomplete, since the discographies list 50 tracks, including some with a small group from the big band.

However, Hep is soon coming out with a double CD called The Complete Thesaurus Transcriptions, which then should have it all! I think this is one of the most exciting reissues in recent years, and I'm surprised it hasn't been done much earlier.

The sax section was reminiscent of the Second Herd: Herbie Steward, Frank Socolow, Al Cohn, Zoot Sims & Danny Bank and the band otherwise included people like Don Fagerquist and Jimmy Raney. I urge everyone to buy this set and support the great Hep label which allegedly is experiencing difficult times.

I have a CD on a label called Dance Band Days that has more tracks from these sessions. But even the two CDs combined are very incomplete, since the discographies list 50 tracks, including some with a small group from the big band.

However, Hep is soon coming out with a double CD called The Complete Thesaurus Transcriptions, which then should have it all! I think this is one of the most exciting reissues in recent years, and I'm surprised it hasn't been done much earlier.

The sax section was reminiscent of the Second Herd: Herbie Steward, Frank Socolow, Al Cohn, Zoot Sims & Danny Bank and the band otherwise included people like Don Fagerquist and Jimmy Raney. I urge everyone to buy this set and support the great Hep label which allegedly is experiencing difficult times.

Wow!!! Thanks for the information of the Hep cd coming out, I didn't hear that. You're right, that is very exciting news.:party:

I once heard an interview in which he was asked "What's the difference between you and Benny Goodman?". He replied "I'm still alive!".

He said he thought that Benny was stupid. I sure wish I was as stupid as Benny!

For the record, Benny is easily my favorite clarinet. (And I think his 4 sax section, led by Hymie Scherzer, was the best ever - and I include the various Ellington sections in that.)

I once heard an interview in which he was asked "What's the difference between you and Benny Goodman?". He replied "I'm still alive!".

He said he thought that Benny was stupid. I sure wish I was as stupid as Benny!

For the record, Benny is easily my favorite clarinet. (And I think his 4 sax section, led by Hymie Scherzer, was the best ever - and I include the various Ellington sections in that.)

Leaving aside who was "better" - arguments have long raged about this with neither side conceding a thing - I do concede that while Shaw could be prickly (there's a good word that contains a more pejorative one) with wives, friends, the press, etc., musician anecdotes about the two men have led me to believe that Shaw's dealings with the various personnel in his bands caused far less friction and were warmer than those of Benny's. Stories about Benny's death "ray" toward personnel on the bandstand and his cheapness when it came to paying band members are legendary (e.g., Teddy Wilson). Shaw was regarded more favorably in his interpersonal dealings with the men who worked in his various bands.

• 1 month later...

Wow!!! Thanks for the information of the Hep cd coming out, I didn't hear that. You're right, that is very exciting news.:party:

looking for this "thesaurus transcription" cd on the "hep" website but there is no mention on it. i ordered it via jpc. i heard that "hep" has problems but i hope that they bring us more wonderful music in the future.

keep boppin´

marcel

I've got the new Hep and it's fantastic. The "small group from the big band" is a 1949 version of the Gramercy Five, and there are about 5-6 sides from it on this new collection.

Edited by ghost of miles