A Conversation With Ken Vandermark

ghost of miles

I did an hour-long telephone interview with Ken Vandermark yesterday, just ahead of his performance with Phil Sudderberg in Bloomington this evening.  We covered a lot of ground, and he tells a great story about his first encounter with Anthony Braxton.  We'll be broadcasting the interview on "Just You And Me" this afternoon, but you can listen to it in its entirety at the link below:

A Conversation With Ken Vandermark

I've not listened to his music in a decade. I recall being thrilled at first but then dare I say it, bored

. I was probably guilty of the same problem with David Murray, listening to him too much and to the exclusion of other music. I've successfully revisited Murray so I ought to put the effort in and try KVM again.

I will listen to this interview and see if that makes a connection with me .

5 hours ago, Clunky said:

I've not listened to his music in a decade. I recall being thrilled at first but then dare I say it, bored

. I was probably guilty of the same problem with David Murray, listening to him too much and to the exclusion of other music. I've successfully revisited Murray so I ought to put the effort in and try KVM again.

I will listen to this interview and see if that makes a connection with me .

I think the comparison with Murray is apt.  Each recorded very heavily for a while and I think to some extent exhausted the listener base.  In retrospect I'm glad that the work was documented.