MLB 2018: let the games begin!

On 6/22/2018 at 9:36 AM, ghost of miles said:

Speaking of being on fire, the Astros have certainly been playing up to and perhaps beyond their 2017 form of late. Mighty glad at least that they didn’t manage to snag Kelvin Herrera from the Royals. 

It would've been great if we could've gotten Herrera, but as it stands the Astros bullpen is (so far) a hell of a lot better than they were last year. Collin McHugh has transitioned to the pen very effectively from his role as a starter last year, and Tony Sipp has been very good, as opposed to last year when the 'Stros fan base would collectively cringe whenever he came into a game (cynics will note that this year is a contract year for Sipp, who in recent years has pitched well in contract years only to revert to not-so-good form after inking a new deal). And Ken Giles gets crapped on a lot by those who haven't yet accepted that he will probably never be the elite closer we hoped we were getting when we traded for him, but if you actually look at his numbers he's been quite respectable for most of his outings this year - of course, when you're a closer, elite or otherwise, it's the blown saves everyone remembers. 

The current speculation is that the Astros will try to get Brad Hand from the Padres, but even if they're unable to bolster the pen any further, I'll be much less concerned about our relief pitching going into the postseason than I was last year.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are some players like that who feel some anxiety when facing a team who have beaten him before. Conversely, there are some players who feel very confident against other teams. I remember McCarver used to say hitting is contagious. I suppose losing can be too. 

5 hours ago, Brad said:

Price and the Yankees are like oil and water; they don't mix, from the Boston perspective. He should never start against them again. 

He's Boston's answer to Sonny Gray, at least when it comes to games against the principal AL East rival.  If the two of them started against each other, it'd be a fair fight.  Weird how last night's game was a mirror image of Saturday night's blowout.

50 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

He's Boston's answer to Sonny Gray, at least when it comes to games against the principal AL East rival.  If the two of them started against each other, it'd be a fair fight ....

.... and a high scoring game 😎 ...

11 minutes ago, soulpope said:

.... and a high scoring game 😎 ...

No doubt.  I should add that outside of his performance against NY, Price has pitched better against other teams than Gray has against non-Boston teams.  OTOH Price makes about five times what Gray does.

I don't know what NY's answer is for the Sonny Gray situation.  I do NOT want to see them include Andujar in any trade that's made for a starting pitcher, no matter who it is.  Miggy's only 23 and has already proven to be one of our most reliable hitters this season, along with Torres; neither one of them is a "prospect" anymore. We can back the farm truck up though, if the return is significant enough, even if it means parting with Clint Frazier as well.  Really frustrating that Gray can't get himself to the level of a decent third or fourth starter, which is all we were really seeking or expecting from him in the first place.  German is still too inconsistent and Loaisiga, impressive as he's been, has started only three games and is almost certainly on a severe innings limit.  Tanaka should be back in the rotation in the next week or so, which will obviously be helpful, although he too has been inconsistent this year.  Hell, I don't know, maybe we should go to a "bullpen day" a la Rays if we have to?  Or try to snag J.A. Happ as a rental, if the price is right.  I'm not sold on Cole Hamels as the potential salvation of the rotation. 

Speaking of the Yankees, the Atlanta "Baby Braves" -- my team -- come in to NYC today for a three-game stand. The first game is tonight. The Braves are on a bit of a roll after taking three-in-a-row from St. Louis.  It'll be interesting to see how they do against the Yanks.

The Braves are FAR exceeding anyone's expectations going into the season. It's been fun.

32 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Speaking of the Yankees, the Atlanta "Baby Braves" -- my team -- come in to NYC today for a three-game stand. The first game is tonight. The Braves are on a bit of a roll after taking three-in-a-row from St. Louis.  It'll be interesting to see how they do against the Yanks.

The Braves are FAR exceeding anyone's expectations going into the season. It's been fun.

Atlanta's sure hitting the ball well and scoring--actually ranked ahead of NY right now on ESPN's MLB team stats chart:

MLB team hitting stats

Edit:  or right behind NY, after last night's game was factored in.  Still really impressive.  How's their pitching?

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

The Braves are definitely a big surprise and - as you said - a joy to watch ....

11 minutes ago, soulpope said:

The Braves are definitely a big surprise and - as you said - a joy to watch ....

It's exciting to see so much YOUNG talent -- Ozzie Albies, Ronald Acuña, Dansby Swanson, et al.  And there are even more talented young players down on the farm.

No matter what happens this year, the future looks bright.

Just came across this comment from an Over The Monster poster, which affirms something I mentioned earlier--that Price is actually pitching quite decently across the course of his Boston contract so far against teams that aren't the Yankees:

If you remove his games against the Yankees (which I did, since they have his number), Price has a 3.35 ERA in 354.1 innings with the Sox thus far. He’s allowing a .229/.287/.377 triple slash against hitters. 95 walks, 363 strikeouts. That’s 2.4 BB/9 and 9.2 K/9.

To put it into context. When Price IS NOT PITCHING AGAINST THE YANKEES, he’s pitched comparably to Carlos Martinez and Jake Arrieta (but with better peripherals) over the time frame mentioned above.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

It's exciting to see so much YOUNG talent -- Ozzie Albies, Ronald Acuña, Dansby Swanson, et al.  And there are even more talented young players down on the farm.

No matter what happens this year, the future looks bright.

I remember when the Yankees played the Braves two or three years ago and the Yankee announcers were commenting that Braves were to be moving into a new stadium and were in the process of tearing down the team in the hopes of rebuilding. You hear that a lot in baseball (rebuilding the team), but it doesn't always come off. It's good to see that it's actually happening in Atlanta. Congratulations to the team and to its fans.

The right field porch gives, but sometimes to the wrong team.  

After the game Robertson said that it really bugs him to give up homers to the short right field porch in Yankee Stadium:

“That short porch gets you in right field . . . I mean, it’s just, I don’t know. There’s no other word for it. It just sucks when that happens.”

Acuna’s homer went 361 feet. Robertson, notably, did not have an opinion about teammate Aaron Judge‘s homer to right which went only 340 feet. Funny that.

:P

I watched a good part of the Braves game last night.  Very good game. Perhaps a WS preview.  Yankee announcers were moaning that Judge got a glove on the ball but replays showed he never had a chance to catch it, even though the ball nicked the glove. Live by the porch, die by the porch.