MLB 2018: let the games begin!

17 hours ago, Brad said:

The Dodgers now appear to be the favorites. 

And apparently the landing spot now. A very logical move by LA, a rental makes perfect sense with Seager looking to be ready to go in 2019.  This should definitely make the Dodgers the favorites in the West.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Brad said:

The Phillies are better off not getting rid of players for a rental.  The Dodgers probably have a good chance to sign him long term. 

The Dodgers have Seager at SS and don't possibly have a need. Seager is a star under team control for four years.   

On the other hand their new acquisition has been re-tweeting photoshop images of himself in a Yankees uniform. Gregorius has turned himself into a hitter (esp. at Yankee Stadium) and is a much better defender but I can't see the Yankees not coming across with the money for talent like that who will be entering his age 27 season next year.

And whoever takes Gregorious off their hands will probably find out he doesn't hit as many homers away from the short porch.

I'd like to amend my prior comment that as a catcher, Gary Sanchez makes an excellent DH.

Actually, as a ballplayer, he makes an excellent slug. 

So are the Yankees going to bench him for lack of hustle or are they going to save him some embarrassment and claim that his groin injury isn't really 100% so that is why he took his sweet time on the final play?

Gary Sanchez is getting roasted this morning for not running hard to first on the final out of the game.  He assumed the Rays would get the force out at 2nd but the Yankee runner beat the fielder.  Sanchez then tried to turn it on but he was easily out. 

12 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Probably. But they could try and teach him a lesson, and if he doesn't learn, they could keep him in the minors. The way he's hitting and fielding, the Yankees wouldn't miss much of anything by doing that.

Yeah but the Yanks are afraid of missing those swings on mistake pitches that he might launch for homers.  That's basically what he brings to the park, and Austin Romine doesn't.  Or not as much of a threat.

14 minutes ago, paul secor said:

The Yankees have become too enamored with home runs. They've catered to Sanchez and babied him for too long. Teach him a lesson. And if he doesn't learn it, let him remain a minor leaguer

Back to the DL. He supposedly aggravated the groin on the passed ball.

I would hope that when he returns he runs his ass off on every play.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Yeah, I have a feeling he will come back a slightly enlightened man. If nothing else, with another stint on the DL, he'll have mastered the art of blowing a bubble when you're supposed to be disappointed.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Maybe he aggravated his ass, which is why he couldn’t run it out. 

I do not grasp the Yankees deal for Britton. Two of your top 15 prospects for a two month rental for incremental improvement to a major team strength?  Don't they need a starter a tad bit more - who would impact the final results in 2018 a great deal more?

I have no idea if the Sox were close in the bidding but to keep him away from Boston is almost the bigger impact than the outs he would deliver. The Sox need a bullpen that's longer than it is; the Yankees don't need the help in the first place.

The other possibility is that they aren't being honest about Chapman's knee and they needed some extra insurance. 

I don't know about Chapman's knee, and Cashman may have wanted to keep Britton away from Houston and perhaps Boston, but how can you expect to make a run with Sabathia, Gray, and German as your 3-4-5 starters? I may wrong, but I don't see it happening. Perhaps they're going to do a Tampa Bay and pitch relievers by committee - they have enough good ones. I don't see that happening either.

Sox just got Eovaldi from the Rays for a 25 year old AAA pitcher who sounds like he has potential but its four years to AAA since he was drafted. 

Eovaldi has been scratched from today's game against the Yanks so it sounds like a done deal.  He's had two Tommy Johns so far but a WHIP of .98 in 10 starts this year is pretty nice.  Wouldn't mind former Yankee pitching the Sox past them this season. :g

36 minutes ago, paul secor said:

I don't know about Chapman's knee, and Cashman may have wanted to keep Britton away from Houston and perhaps Boston, but how can you expect to make a run with Sabathia, Gray, and German as your 3-4-5 starters? I may wrong, but I don't see it happening. Perhaps they're going to do a Tampa Bay and pitch relievers by committee - they have enough good ones. I don't see that happening either.

I had the same thought, Paul, but I also doubt it, as do you.  I think Cashman is looking at a not-so-great pool of potential trade targets for starters and thinking that we may have to make do with what we have and hope that a deep bullpen (and a lot of luck, like Sonny Gray staying in a good groove or CC holding up) might give us a fighting chance against Boston and/or Houston (and that's assuming we make it out of a wild-card game with Seattle, which is a big assumption).  

Add me to those relieved that Sanchez is back on the DL for a few days--we seem to be a better team when Romine's catching (and hitting).  Speaking of the impact certain players have, here's a stat for you.  New York Yankees in 2018 when Gleyber Torres plays:  45-18.  NY Yankees in 2018 when Gleyber Torres doesn't play:  19-17.  

10 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Sox just got Eovaldi from the Rays for a 25 year old AAA pitcher who sounds like he has potential but its four years to AAA since he was drafted. 

Eovaldi has been scratched from today's game against the Yanks so it sounds like a done deal.  He's had two Tommy Johns so far but a WHIP of .98 in 10 starts this year is pretty nice.  Wouldn't mind former Yankee pitching the Sox past them this season. :g

Eovaldi looked pretty sharp when I saw him pitch against us at Yankee Stadium a few weeks ago (in Loaisiga's debut start).  He was one of the starters NY was supposedly looking at, so good for you guys.  

EDIT:  just read on Pinstripe Alley that Sanchez is now expected to be out for a month.  Again, this is a blessing in disguise right now, IMO--or maybe not even in disguise. ;)

Edited by ghost of miles