Sopranos Season Starts!!!

This was a good episode but I was taken at some point by how unlikable these guys are.

Ahhh. the great dichotomy of wiseguys. They can be rotten to the core on one hand and on the other be genuinely nice, generous, likeable guys on the other. This is part of what makes this show so realistic.

It's really classic compensation.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the show again last night and my opinion has somewhat softened. It held my interest - as did the first. Even when this show is off the wall it's fascinating. I decided to accept it at my evaluation of it's face value and meaning.

Tony S. knows that Tony B. is a loose cannon and he knows that Tony B. put him right in the line of fire from Johnny Sack's faction. The teeth - the gun that wouldn't fire - the bullets turning to shit...all classic symbols of fear and impotence . His fear is that he will not be able to handle what is coming.

It's formulaic in that the dream ploy was used prior to offing Big Pussy. From the producer or writer's pov - it was highly successful with audiences then - why not expand on it now?

Re: A couple of symbols I've heard discussed in the office - The Finn/AJ morph - AJ is there when the converstion is "He'll never amount to anything" - not anytime else. Artie is there because Tony wants to bang Charmaine.

I think a lot of the rest are pretty obvious, i.e "High Noon", etc.

Don't forget David Chase has always put a comedic gloss (much appreciated here)over this show.

Edited by Harold_Z

Here's the thing (imho).....

Watch it a second time. There will be no expectation or impatience for the plot to move on and you can relax and be more receptive to what is essentially an interlude. (I know some wise ass is going to say "essentially a qualude").

For me it worked really well the second time through (and I didn't dig it the first time through - see above). I'm glad I took the time to watch it again.

I better stay away from this till I watch tonight's episode's rerun.Tomorrow night , is it?

I was so eager to run out of the house to hear Randy Weston that it totally slipped my mind to program the vcr.

Tony vs. Randy...the big man won. :P

Edited by Dmitry

Now this is more like it was meant to be! :tup

I bet this guy Mateius[sp?] is connected to terrorists.

I agree that this latest episode is back on track. My wife was upset about Drea being "taken out" by Little Steven, but I saw something like that coming (I thought that Chrissy would do it, and he almost did).

As far as the terrorist angle, I can't tell for sure (all we know is that the guy is reportedly more "serious" about his religion), but the FBI is on the case...

As far as the terrorist angle, I can't tell for sure (all we know is that the guy is reportedly more "serious" about his religion), but the FBI is on the case...

...and he sends money home to run a school for boys.

Can you say Madras ?

I think the writers were being semi humorous is an attempt to show how clueless Adrianna really was.