BFT 173 access and discussion

Track 2: Fats Waller's "Ain't Misbehavin'". Major Holley humming with bowed bass.

Track 3: Guitarist has listened to Wes Montgomery, tho' it's not Wes. Some sort of 16 bar blues.

Track 4: Back to the blues with 12 bars. Wild guess: Al Harewood on drums?

Track 5: "Makin' Whoopee". Probably not Ray Charles.

Track 7: "Willow Weep for Me"

Track 8: Cal Tjader?

Track 10: Ellington?

Track 12: Illinois Jacquet? 

That's some tough stuff.  

On #2 it sounds like Turrentine on tenor, but I'm not saying that with a high level of confidence.

I would agree that #10 sounds like Ellington; I hear Hodges in there, or someone doing quite an imitation.  I've heard tons of Duke, but I've never heard this.

#12 could be Coleman Hawkins or Ben Webster, but probably not.  Too much of a rhythm and blues approach.

I'm thinking people will be guessing wildly on your selections.

Edited by Milestones

Track 2: Fats Waller's "Ain't Misbehavin'". Major Holley humming with bowed bass.

Yep; so far so good.

Track 3: Guitarist has listened to Wes Montgomery, tho' it's not Wes. Some sort of 16 bar blues.

I dare say every guitarist has listened to Wes, including those who started before anyone began to take notice of Wes.

Track 4: Back to the blues with 12 bars. Wild guess: Al Harewood on drums?

Nope.

Track 5: "Makin' Whoopee". Probably not Ray Charles.

Definitely NOT Ray Charles, who sang on his version as well as played pianner.

Track 7: "Willow Weep for Me"

Yup, which of the forty milllion versions is this?

Track 8: Cal Tjader?

YES!!!! First correct answer. So....?

Track 10: Ellington?

Nope.

Track 12: Illinois Jacquet? 

Nope.

MG

6 hours ago, Milestones said:

That's some tough stuff.  

And yet, apart from #1 and 9, I reckon pretty well everyone should have heard all these leaders a lot before :)

On #2 it sounds like Turrentine on tenor, but I'm not saying that with a high level of confidence.

Quite right, too; it ain't Stanley (or Tommy, for that matter).

I would agree that #10 sounds like Ellington; I hear Hodges in there, or someone doing quite an imitation.  I've heard tons of Duke, but I've never heard this.

Yes, band has something in common with Ellington, but not what you expect.

#12 could be Coleman Hawkins or Ben Webster, but probably not.  Too much of a rhythm and blues approach.

Oh, you haven't heard both Hawkins and Webster honking away like good 'uns? Well, it's neither of them. 

I'm thinking people will be guessing wildly on your selections.

MG

OK, I think I'm getting it now. Yes #9 IS 'Way back home' with some lyrics added. The arrangements are not by Belford Hendricks, however, who, as far as I know, didn't work in Arkansas :)

Frankly, getting anyone's name who had anything to do with this (apart from Joe Sample) is NOT for the amateur Gospel music of the 70's fan.

So what's the significance of Julie London lying on her back. please?

MG

I was thinking Belford Hendricks for "Gee Baby...."

Not as a guess, just as a "sounds kinda like", those shrillish unison strings when they happen. Not that he's the only guy to use that device, far from it. Just that he's always who comes to mind when I hear it.

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not as a guess, just as a "sounds kinda like", those shrillish unison strings when they happen. Not that he's the only guy to use that device, far from it. Just that he's always who comes to mind when I hear it.

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Oh right, I get you now on that. Belford Hendricks, I think, became kinda ubiquitous in the early sixties, doing all those arrangements for Brook Benton. He's not QUITE contemporary with this version of "Gee baby" but not quite non-contemporaneous. Anyway, it ain't him doing the arrangements. Actually, I'm kind of surprised you don't recognise the singer, because I'm sure his other stuff from this period is even now being heard on the radio.

MG

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

uh...that's the record that "summertime" is from? At least in my collection it is?

Yes, that's correct. I should have guessed you might have this.

MG

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

The tenor sax player on Track 2 is either Houston Person or someone who really likes his playing and is emulating him.

This Blindfold Test is like a fun party in my car. I am not identifying much of it at all, but loving it. It lifts my spirits.

Yes, yes and no.

Glad you're enjoying it Bill.

#2 is a tough one. A little of the Slam Stewart thing goes a very long way for me. Wish it were the tenor's track all the way thru.

#5 - Junior Mance? My go-to when I don't think its Gene Harris.

(If it turns out to be Gene Harris I'll just quit on these things.)

Feel like I should know #12. How about Joe Thomas?  I recently picked up his two Uptown releases and a comp of his 45s that he cut after the Lunceford band.

Thanks MG for a mostly enjoyable comp.

Edited by Dan Gould

10 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

#2 is a tough one. A little of the Slam Stewart thing goes a very long way for me. Wish it were the tenor's track all the way thru.

#5 - Junior Mance? My go-to when I don't think its Gene Harris.

(If it turns out to be Gene Harris I'll just quit on these things.)

Feel like I should know #12. How about Joe Thomas?  I recently picked up his two Uptown releases and a comp of his 45s that he cut after the Lunceford band.

Thanks MG for a mostly enjoyable comp.

2 isn't Slam Stewart. Bill got Major Holley. But no one's quite got anyone else on this.

5 No, not Mance. And not Gene Harris, either, you'll be relieved to know.

12 Well, you SHOULD know 12 - EVERYONE should, though probably few do. But it's not Joe Thomas.

Very glad you liked it, Dan.

MG

Got around to this while staying at the beach during a rainy stretch.

Track 01 — The gospel feel doesn’t bother me, but the vibrato is a bit over the top.  Could be Byard Lancaster, though the genre seems all wrong for that guess.  Song reminds me of something else and I keep expecting it to go there.  Listening on a tablet —am I hearing a tuba in there?  

Track 02 — Slam Stewart, for sure.  I know there is an album with this tune w/Papa Jo and Wild Bill Davis — this is not that.

Track 03 — Needle drop.  No guess on the guitar.  Sounds like Ain’t Nobody’s Business in 3.  Tenor is a Jazz guy (as opposed to a blues guy) but not someone I am familiar with.  It works, but I’m convinceI don’t know any of these people.

Track 04 — Strikes me as a pianist playing the organ, but can’t say who. Don’t recognize the drummer.  

Track 05 — Somebody Makin’ Whoopie. Playing like Ray would sing it.  Since it’s a blindfold test, I’ll guess Gene Harris. 😁

Track 06 — I do not know these people.  Enjoying, but as background.

Track 07 — willow weeping for someone I do not know.  A very tappy player.  Seems influenced by Django.

Track 08 — I am a sucker for this feel.  No idea who it is, but I’ll take seconds, please.  Oddly, bari solo didn’t really click for me.

Track 09 — sounds like the Crusaders. Nope.  I was thinking Way Back Home.  Could be them backing a vocalist.  Sounds like Joe for sure.  I can’t recall Wilton on soprano, but I’d bet it sounds about like this.  Man, this REALLY sounds like that song.  One owes the other royalties.  

Track 10 — Likable, but I keep wanting to hear an Ellington blend in the sax section.  Enjoyable, no guess.

Track 11 — Intrigue on the intro, wasn’t prepared for Gershwin. Don’t know the vocalist. Has that feel that maybe she’s someone famous trying her hand at singing (reasonably successfully). No guess.

Track 12 — sounds like a variant of Lester Leaps In.  Perhaps a later contemporary, but not quite on the same plane.  I like this guy’s beastly tone

Track 13 — weird guess here: O. C. Smith?  No idea on the band.

Track 14 — Wow, I really whiffed on this test.  I was thinking Mr. Jordan at first, but that does not seem correct.

As always a challenging test.  I really hate it when I get no-hit!  ;)

After reading the thread:  Welp, my ears didn't betray me on #9, but did on #2.  Correct me if I'm wrong, here, isn't Major usually signing an octave ABOVE his bow?

7 hours ago, tkeith said:

Got around to this while staying at the beach during a rainy stretch.

Track 01 — The gospel feel doesn’t bother me, but the vibrato is a bit over the top.  Could be Byard Lancaster, though the genre seems all wrong for that guess.  Song reminds me of something else and I keep expecting it to go there.  Listening on a tablet —am I hearing a tuba in there?  

Track 02 — Slam Stewart, for sure.  I know there is an album with this tune w/Papa Jo and Wild Bill Davis — this is not that.

Track 03 — Needle drop.  No guess on the guitar.  Sounds like Ain’t Nobody’s Business in 3.  Tenor is a Jazz guy (as opposed to a blues guy) but not someone I am familiar with.  It works, but I’m convinceI don’t know any of these people.

Track 04 — Strikes me as a pianist playing the organ, but can’t say who. Don’t recognize the drummer.  

Track 05 — Somebody Makin’ Whoopie. Playing like Ray would sing it.  Since it’s a blindfold test, I’ll guess Gene Harris. 😁

Track 06 — I do not know these people.  Enjoying, but as background.

Track 07 — willow weeping for someone I do not know.  A very tappy player.  Seems influenced by Django.

Track 08 — I am a sucker for this feel.  No idea who it is, but I’ll take seconds, please.  Oddly, bari solo didn’t really click for me.

Track 09 — sounds like the Crusaders. Nope.  I was thinking Way Back Home.  Could be them backing a vocalist.  Sounds like Joe for sure.  I can’t recall Wilton on soprano, but I’d bet it sounds about like this.  Man, this REALLY sounds like that song.  One owes the other royalties.  

Track 10 — Likable, but I keep wanting to hear an Ellington blend in the sax section.  Enjoyable, no guess.

Track 11 — Intrigue on the intro, wasn’t prepared for Gershwin. Don’t know the vocalist. Has that feel that maybe she’s someone famous trying her hand at singing (reasonably successfully). No guess.

Track 12 — sounds like a variant of Lester Leaps In.  Perhaps a later contemporary, but not quite on the same plane.  I like this guy’s beastly tone

Track 13 — weird guess here: O. C. Smith?  No idea on the band.

Track 14 — Wow, I really whiffed on this test.  I was thinking Mr. Jordan at first, but that does not seem correct.

As always a challenging test.  I really hate it when I get no-hit!  ;)

After reading the thread:  Welp, my ears didn't betray me on #9, but did on #2.  Correct me if I'm wrong, here, isn't Major usually signing an octave ABOVE his bow?

1 Not Bayard, as you thought. No tuba either, I'm afraid.

2 Don't know what Major usually did - there are probably well over a hundred sessions he did, but I've never heard him singing in a different octave to what he's playing.

3 You DO know at least a couple of those people. Can't be any doubt about it.

4 Interesting guess; yes, it's a pianner player.

5 Another interesting guess, but wrong.

6 Yes you do know these people!

7 You know THIS one, too. Any Django influence is probably coincidental.

8 Bill F got this, as you've seen.

9 Well, it IS 'Way back home', but the JCs aren't the backing band.

10 This is a pretty hard one, I think, albeit a very well-known name.

11 Oh... I don't think she'd have been very happy to have seen your comment.

12 Yeah, great sound.

13 Well, I can see why you say O C Smith, but it's not him.

14 No, neither Louis nor Clifford :)

I know this kind of stuff isn't well up your street, Thom, so I'm glad you found a lot of it enjoyable.

MG

5 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

I continue to love this BFT and I continue to have no clue who I am listening to. It will be a welcome learning experience when I read the Reveal. 

I have the impression after many listens that more than one track is by the same artist. (I have no idea who it is). Am I correct?

Yes.

:)

MG

5 hours ago, Milestones said:

I think I'm not alone in regarding this as a really tough blindfold test.  

So it seems. We've got one completely right answer (11), one answer that identifies the leader correctly (8). one answer that identifies two of the personnel (2).

This surprises me greatly. Apart from 1 & 9, every leader on this is an extremely well-known name and I feel sure most of you have heard, and probably got, many recordings of those people.

Sure, I've tried to pick hard ones within these people's oeuvre. But I bet I get a chorus of 'Oh hell, I've got that one!' on the first of September :D

MG