2 Computer Problems

I need help again from you computer gurus.

1)  For the past month, when I have turned on the computer, the screen has said, "The battery is low.  Press F1 to start."  So I have done that.  No big deal.  I use a desktop computer, so I don't know what battery it is referring to.

Yesterday and today, The computer has not responded to my pressing F1.  I changed keyboards, but the problem remains.  Any ideas?

2)  Today I am using my old computer.  All of the websites except this one are appearing as text only.  And nothing happens when I try to log into my email.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

BIOS battery, perhaps?

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-does-my-motherboard-have-a-battery/

How old is your old computer, and when was the last time up updated anythng on it?

Yes, it's the bios battery and if it dies completely, you could have bigger problems. Open up the PC and you should see a shiny battery like the ones you see in car remotes or garage door openers. Easy to replace.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I'd replace the BIOS battery first. Like Kevin says, it's an easy fix. But if that doesn't fix it, or if you're unsure about the type of battery you need, yeah, time for outside help.

agreed,  as far as web sites on old pc, what happens when you refresh page?

The biggest problem with a failing bios battery is that there's a chance that your system clock could get reset and mess up your Windows installation. It can cause you Windows to become "unregistered" and stop booting.

The battery simply pops out when you push a little clip out of the way and the new one snaps back in just as easy. You can get the battery at most any store these days.

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate your input.

I have downloaded the AVG anti-virus software, and the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome.  This has me sort of back up and running.  I have also downloaded Linux Ubuntu on a second computer.  I think that will be fun to learn it.

Here's hoping Santa brings me something better this year for Christmas!