James Clay and George Coleman Finds

catesta

Speaking of James Clay .. it is unfortunate that "circumstances" surrounding the jazz life prevented him from making more albums during his lifetime. Both his tenor and flute playing were outstanding. I do not believe that anyone has yet mentioned his terrific work on Red Mitchell's first album "Presenting Red Mitchell" (Contemporary) ... where he is featured extensively, with Lorraine Geller, who also died young,  on piano. This was the first time that I heard Clay, and that album became a favorite of mine. It is still available .. see below.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...685&style=music

Garth.

I really like this one a lot too, I picked it up recently. Cute cover too. There's a cat

perched at the top of the bass pawing at the strings.

B000000Y94.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

thanks for the red mitchell recommendation. it was quite good!

:tup

The Coleman is a good Cd. If you like it, don't walk, RUN to get the Miles Seven Steps box or at least the single CD's with Coleman on them. He is a greatly underrated player, IMHO. Brilliant technique and a finely honed, though not huge, sound in all registers of the horn. His influence has been felt mainly through teaching. Many of today's tenor greats have studied with George.

Back around '77 Coleman made an LP with an Octet called Big George, which has been a long-time favorite of mine. Worth keeping an eye out for in used vinyl shops.

Back around '77 Coleman made an LP with an Octet called Big George, which has been a long-time favorite of mine. Worth keeping an eye out for in used vinyl shops.

You're right, it's a terrific LP. So good in fact, that the obsessive-compulsive I am will snatch it up if I ever see it on CD. Great versions of "Green Dolphin Street" and "Frank's Tune" in particular, which reminds me that Frank Strozier is also on the date. :tup

James sounds very nice as a sideman on Billy Higgins' LP "Bridgework" where he appears on three tracks. (Harold Land is on the remaining tracks)

As far as Coleman recordings go, I'm particularly fond of his collaboration with Tete titled "Dynamic Duo."

You're right, it's a terrific LP. So good in fact, that the obsessive-compulsive I am will snatch it up if I ever see it on CD. Great versions of "Green Dolphin Street" and "Frank's Tune" in particular, which reminds me that Frank Strozier is also on the date. :tup

I saw that octet when they toured the UK back in 1979 I believe. Strozier was certainly on alto. I see the 'Big George' LP quite va bit in second hand racks over here (wasn't it on Affinity?)

I saw that octet when they toured the UK back in 1979 I believe. Strozier was certainly on alto. I see the 'Big George' LP quite va bit in second hand racks over here (wasn't it on Affinity?)

Affinity, for sure.

That's how I found about this great band!

Wish they had toured over here...

I'm trying hard to recall who else was in the band. Mario Riviera I think on baritone. The gig was at Ronnie Scotts (where Coleman did some great engagements back in the 1970s).

I have a couple of broadcasts of this octet, unfortunately on open reel tape. One of these days, they will be transferred to CD-R when I get the capacity to do so.

I've got the feeling that the Scotts engagement might have been 1980. Suspect the lineup (my memory is a bit hazy) was probably Coleman, Sal Nistico, Mario Rivera, Frank Strozier, Harold Mabern, Clint Houston and Billy Higgins. Great band in any case !

I'm also racking my brain as to who the supporting band was. Might have been either Elaine Delmar or Susanne McCorkle :) I think I paid a couple of pounds to get in as a student mid-week and for sure got a very good seat courtesy of the 'house' policy of the time (big thanks to Ronnie for that..)

Edited by sidewinder

Now, if you had picked up a copy of Coleman's AT YOSHI'S to go w/the Clay, I'd say grab the Depends and head for the mailbox... ;)

The Depends are strapped on and I'm waiting.

I finally ordered AT YOSHI'S today! :tup B-)

And now, Dieter, you are as happy as a little girl?

As far as Coleman recordings go, I'm particularly fond of his collaboration with Tete titled "Dynamic Duo."

Was listening to that duo date yesterday and replayed it today. This is one hell of a record! Can't think of a better Coleman. He and Tete Montoliu really went down very far for inspiration.

I'll be getting back to that one again right now...

• 1 month later...

I was in the Media Play store in Enfield, CT yesterday, and I was walking by this huge section of 99 cent CDs. It's all crap... I've wasted my time plowing through these huge piles before and it's never gotten me anywhere. Well, as I walked by, I see the name "James Clay". Hmmm, I wonder if this is that Clay date everyone was talking about on Organissimo? For 99 cents, why not.

James Clay's "I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart". Excellent use of 99 Cents!!! :)

I've spun it a couple of times. What a rhythm section! I can't understand why Antilles chose to not list them on the outside of the disc. It probably would have helped sales if people picked up the CD and saw Cedar Walton, David Williams and Billy Higgins listed there. I might have jumped in the air if I saw them listed. :D

After finding this disc, of course I went through the entire section. It took me about 30 minutes. The only other Jazz disc was a weird Sonny Stitt called "Just Friends". No info. I played it and got intrigued by the 3 tunes with a bone player. Turns out it a Catalyst date with Frank Rosolino that was issued under the name "I Remember Bird". I gotta get that CD. The other three tunes were from the Catalyst session with Red Holloway. I already had those. So one hit, one miss. But at 99 cents each... very good.

All in all, a pretty good day. I also found an oop James Williams Sunnyside CD called "Progress Report".

Happy 4th of July everyone,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan