New Art Pepper releases from Laurie Pepper

GA Russell

Hi Art Pepper friends and fans. This is Laurie. I had a heart attack last week. I'm getting better, but deliveries of of cds might be a little slower. I'm talking to a musical son-in-law about handling this site in case I'm laid up again. I love digging through this music and knowing there are people out there who love it (almost) as much as I do. L.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe I´m oldfashioned I prefer to buy CDs. Just saw the hp with a lot of photos of Art Pepper, some nice, some not, but I also saw the "Stuttgart 1981" which I have, and there is nice liner notes by Laurie , and it´s about the same time when there was the only time I heard him live in Austria.

Ask Laurie if she remembers Austria - Velden 1981 where Art´s rhythm section didn´t arrive and he had to play with Stan Getz´ rhythm section (Lou Levy was on piano). 
That´s were Art played "You´s my heart only" and since I was curios if some recording evidence of it exists, someone her pulled my coat to the Stuttgart album. 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Maybe I´m oldfashioned I prefer to buy CDs. Just saw the hp with a lot of photos of Art Pepper, some nice, some not, but I also saw the "Stuttgart 1981" which I have, and there is nice liner notes by Laurie , and it´s about the same time when there was the only time I heard him live in Austria.

Ask Laurie if she remembers Austria - Velden 1981 where Art´s rhythm section didn´t arrive and he had to play with Stan Getz´ rhythm section (Lou Levy was on piano). 
That´s were Art played "You´s my heart only" and since I was curios if some recording evidence of it exists, someone her pulled my coat to the Stuttgart album. 

I believe only the pianist was missing (believe it was George Cables) and replaced by Lou Levy ....

17 hours ago, soulpope said:

I believe only the pianist was missing (believe it was George Cables) and replaced by Lou Levy ....

Only the pianist ? Maybe, I don´t remember who was on bass and drums. But George Cables ? I believe the scheduled pianist would have been Milcho Leviev, and I had heard that there was a big verbal fight between Art and him and it is very possible that Leviev decided to quit and did let Art "stranded" without a pianist. 

George Cables leads me to Dexter, who also played in Velden in 1981. Cables had been a long time pianist for Dex, but during that time was replaced by Kirk Leightsey. That´s the two quartets I saw then: Art Pepper with Lou Levy, and Dex with Kirk Leightsey......

About Art Pepper: I´m always astonished how articulated he was on stage, greeting the audience, thanking for applause, announcing the tunes etc, and I think backstage he was really nasty.....