BN - RVG Trivia Question--

Leeway

Leeway,

Don't know if these count but the Art Blakey, Orgy in Rhythms and Drums Around the Corner were both recorded at the Manhatten Towers.

Good call! I don't have those albums, so didn't know that. I know there are others, but I don't imagine I know them all.

Another one that comes to mind is Dexter Gordon's "Our Man in Paris," which was recorded at the CBS Studios in Paris in 1963 (according to the liner notes).

C,mon, according to the folks at AAJ, this is supposed to be the BN "fanatics" (aka "dregs" :rolleyes: ) BB. Demonstrate your BN knowledge!

If I remember right, Dizzy Reece's first BN album, "Blues in Trinity", was supposedly recorded in London. Actually, the liner-notes say it was recorded in Paris (due to musician union rules/laws in the U.K.), but I think it was actually done in London.

Somebody on the BNBB confirmed this one time.

But Money Jungle isn't a Blue Note session.

Speaking post-1954:

Audio-Video Studios was used for Thad Jones and Kenny Burrell sessions in 1956.

Manhattan Towers was used for quite a bit in 1957-58 - several Jimmy Smiths in addition to the Blakeys (Holiday for Skins too).

Other European sessions - Dexter Gordon "One Flight Up," Hank Mobley "The Flip."

Mike

Almost every Blue Note session from 1939 to 1954!

Absolutely right. I should have specified that I was talking about sessions starting with RVG's appearance on the scene. I will admit, however, to having a blind spot for pre-RVG BN recordings. I know they are there, but I often don't give them much (enough) consideration. I guess I identify Rudy with Blue Note as much as I do Alfred or Francis.

If I remember right, Dizzy Reece's first BN album, "Blues in Trinity", was supposedly recorded in London. Actually, the liner-notes say it was recorded in Paris (due to musician union rules/laws in the U.K.), but I think it was actually done in London.

Somebody on the BNBB confirmed this one time.

Definitely recorded in London ! (the Uk's one and only contribution to classic Blue Note). My understanding is that EMI's studio in London was used and the security guard was given a bit of beer money to turn a blind eye... :g

• 1 year later...

this seems like a good thread to ask this question:

is there a list somewhere that shows what was being recorded in RVG's studio on each day? i am curious if certain musicians recorded on consecutive dates for different "leaders" B)

i am also curious who was in the studio on the date that i was born. :P

couw, i am sure you know the answers! :g

this seems like a good thread to ask this question:

is there a list somewhere that shows what was being recorded in RVG's studio on each day? i am curious if certain musicians recorded on consecutive dates for different "leaders" B)

i am also curious who was in the studio on the date that i was born. :P

couw, i am sure you know the answers! :g

Wouldn't the Blue Note discography by Cuscuna answer it?

(which I do not have :( )

I share your interest in having a timeline of recording sessions. It would be fascinating to have a daily chronology of RVG sessions. BTW, this concept has been used in other fields. For example, I have a daily chronology of Thoreau.

Edited by Leeway

Dan Skea continues to work on the RVG project, documenting everything that Rudy has done in his career. The Blue Note book alone doesn't do it since Van Gelder did work for so many other labels.

Give me the date in question and I'll see what I can do from my own research. I keep a chronology database (not just for record sessions, but for gigs and other jazz events). At this point it's got about 21,000 entries (mostly post WWII). There are a number of other sources I could refer to as well.

Mike